Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was replacing the rear tire on 06 road king & couldn't figure how to get the caliper off so i removed the 3 bolts that split the caliper. I quickly realized that wasn't right because i started loosing brake fluid. Now what do i need to do, bleed the rear brakes?

Terry

·
Registered
141 Posts
The very first thing ya need is a factory manual. By reading it you would have found out it's a bad thing to loosen all those bolts on your caliper.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Did the two caliper halves separate or change position any at all? Did fluid just start seeping out or was there a significant flow or loss of fluid?

Conventional wisdom will dictate that any time a seal breaks contact with its mating surfaces, it should be replaced. That would require removing the caliper and disassembling it for a rebuild. I would mostly agree with that.

However....
in my practical experience, if you noticed your mistake quickly enough, and nothing moved, and there was no pressure applied while the bolts were loosened, then you may still be able to save the job by tightening everything back up. Check the fluid level in the rear master cylinder BEFORE you try the brake. If you have a solid pedal and there is NO fluid seepage from the caliper seam, you may have dodged the bullet.

DISCLAIMER:
That being said, keep in mind that we're talking about your brakes here, and you should probably rebuild the caliper, or at minimum, replace the o-rings between the caliper halves, per the service manual. I would not attempt this repair without the service manual instructions (with pictures). Check your local library. Many will surprise you with how many service manuals they have in their catalog.

--

1 - 4 of 4 Posts