Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a wake of a childhood friend. She was a mother of 3. (Kids stood in line still in shock, all in their early teens). She died instantly after losing control of her bike on the highway.

Now, I get that accidents happen all the time, and that understanding comes with riding a bike. But seeing her children standing there along side their dead mother made me think I would not want see my boys standing in the same spot, with me lying next to them. Thought long and hard. I had a good run. I live in a seaside village, I'm thinking its time for a boat.

Just needed to vent that...get it out of my head

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,674 Posts
If you put your boat in a lake that gets crazy with jet ski's and bass boats screamin around and the party crowds on pontoons and runabouts....that can be scary also!

I thought the same as you about leaving kids like that and the fact I like spending time with them and if they were at home and I was riding...I would often go back home..just rode to work for the most part.

When they grew up and doing their own thing...I started riding more..again!! and its great!!

But I understand!

·
Done
4,154 Posts
It's your decision to make and you have to do what's best for you and yours. If your comfortable with that, then all is good. My sympathies to all.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,329 Posts
Gee, I went from a nice sized sail boat back to the Harley.

I sold the last Harley 35 years ago when I felt I was living on borrowed time.
Then came back to the Harley after 33 years.

Trust your gut. Enjoy life.

·
Registered
710 Posts
WOW! that's heavy sorry to hear your done but I understand. I went through something similar in 2004 and hung it up too, didn't last too long 2 wheels is my passion. Good luck boating is awesome but I bet we see ya back on the road someday.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sincere condolences on the loss of your friend. I wish you all the best in whatever decision you make, but rest assured you will be missed here.

·
Registered
11,052 Posts
Marion, you had a truly sobering experience that caused you to review your priorities. We all need one of those from time to time. It makes us safer riders.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
I agree that the decisions we make for our selves really isn't for us and should not be solely "our" decision. That's just f*ckin selfish to those around us that love us.

But if its something you have a passion for and those that love you don't want you to give it up then ride on.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,469 Posts
Marion, I fully understand your feelings....even had the sailboats. Something you will discover as the days go by is that regardless of everything else, this riding thing is more deeply ingrained in you than you might realize. As I lay on U.S. Hwy 90 in Gautier, MS, in April, 2007, I was contemplating how life was going to be without my left leg that I was certain was history after that nice lady in the SUV had totaled my bike and me. I went through the recovery and rehab and as time moved on, the need to get back on that horse became overpowering. My buddy had an Ultra that he was preparing to trade (on a newer Ultra) and I was told (no request...ordered) to take it down the road, and get it out of my system. It was about a half mile to a cul de sac and by the time I got back, I knew that I was NOT in any way done. Here I am with my now older new bike and ride almost daily.
Give this thing some time, and whereas I respect your feelings and understand the misgivings, you will find there is that part of you that is a biker that will always be there. If you decide to be the sailor, part of you will still have that urge to get out there on 2 wheels.
Hope as time goes on, you will make the right choice, and whatever it is, I'm certain this group of friends will understand and be with you regardless.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
And on the other side...if you decide to stop pursuing this passion of motorcycles for the sake of those close to you...you've got my utmost respect for your decision and you'll still be a biker and should continue to be welcome here with us.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Vent all you need to Marion. People drown when boats sink. People die in car accidents daily. There's no safe hobby that's fun. Take some time off and make a non-emotionally charged decision. We're here if you need to chat.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
It's a little different when it hit's that close to home , I've lost a couple guys I knew from riding accidents this year , not close friends but part of the local circle of fellow riders , those of us in that local circle morn them and ride in there memory as it was there passion as well as ours.

Let time sort this out for you , as Dave mentioned the emotions are fresh , you may feel differently a few weeks from now , even next spring.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Vent all you need to Marion. People drown when boats sink. People die in car accidents daily. There's no safe hobby that's fun. Take some time off and make a non-emotionally charged decision. We're here if you need to chat.
Well said.

I have seen people I know buried, from the hobby I just came back to. I'm a firm believer " when it's your time", doesn't matter what you are doing, it's just your time.

Take a break, clear your head, and take a ride, by yourself. You'll know your answer afterwards.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Well said.

I have seen people I know buried, from the hobby I just came back to. I'm a firm believer " when it's your time", doesn't matter what you are doing, it's just your time.

Take a break, clear your head, and take a ride, by yourself. You'll know your answer afterwards.
I tend to agree with this... Though I have no proof, only circumstantial evidence of such feelings.

All I say is you should take your time. Don't ride for a month... 2,3

Maybe a whole season..
Regardless don't turn around tomorrow and sell your bike and possibly regret it. Give your self the time you need to come to the right decisions and do what you must.. Nothing wrong with that. As much as we all love it priorities change, hobbies change, interests change, kids come and go, life gets busy... It all affects what we do one way or another.

So sorry for your loss, hope this decision either way comes as easy as possible.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
So sorry to hear. Tragic. Riding seems to be in my blood. Have been a few years without. But way always planning. Not sure why it is that way for me.
Your thoughts are always welcome here. Keeping everyone affected in my prayers.:bikerguy:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Marion: You have to do what is best for you, whatever that is....However if you pick up a paper you will see how many people lose their lives in cages every day, or drowned swimming, or are hit by a vehicle when they are just walking down the street. The one unfortunate part of life is that we are surrounded by death. A fellow I know had a very good friend of his out riding a bicycle with his young sons, he was stung by a bee and is now in a coma that he may never recover from.
What I am trying to say is that there are risks in every breath we take. if you give up something you love just make sure you are doing it for the right reasons.

Be safe

·
Super Moderator
12,742 Posts
I understand. Seeing my nephews on Facebook tonight got me all messed up again. Nothing I can do to "not get cancer and die young ".

Live your life the best you can. Enjoy it. Some get more time than others but it's more luck of the draw than choices is what I'm seeing.

Take your time. We're here if you need us.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
God bless your friend and her family. God bless you on your decision and journey.

Stick around even if you choose not to ride, please.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
544 Posts
My condolences, either way your decision is respected and supported. I wish you peace of mind for whatever you decide.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts