Harley Davidson Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've really been keeping an open mind. I've really been trying to tell myself that the terror we've been experiencing has only been the cause of "extremists". I was here in NYC when the towers fell. I lost quite a few friends. Still, I've been trying to keep an open mind about Islam. So much has happened since then (and so much occurred before then, too) and now Boston... and yesterday's gruesome attack in London. It just seems that it never stops. Well, it took me long enough, but I'm officially no longer open minded when it comes to this "religion". Until I see some outrage from the Islamic community as a whole I will only see them ALL as co-conspirators and supporters of this "jihad" nonsense and the violence it has brought the peace-loving world. I will no longer think that profiling Muslims is wrong. I will no longer think it wrong to closely monitor any mosque. I will now always look at a Muslim questionably and without trust. I will always worry getting onto a plane with a Muslim. Enough is enough. SPEAK, Muslim community, so I don't have to become the hate-filled person that you've made me today!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I am very tolerant and the least bit ethnocentric. However, I have a burning hatred for Muslims. I know this is not a Christian way of thinking. But I have thrown in the towel as well. I ready for another Crusade led with carpet bombing.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
While I'm no apologist for Islam it is a religion built from the ground up for a certain ethnic group that had some pretty harsh ideas by even the standards of the day and the current incarnation of Islam is being used mostly by a group of people that have become very rich over the last 60 years from oil while the masses are poor and uneducated.

If they don't redirect their anger about being poor a stupid outward (in this case Israel and the Western World) that anger would be turned inward towards their rulers. And as Egypt, Syria and a some other countries show, they have only been partially successful in that.

Add to that it isn't like Christianity doesn't have some nasty acts in its past. We grew out of it because of our ethnic culture. I don't know that Islam can in our life time.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Add to that it isn't like Christianity doesn't have some nasty acts in its past. We grew out of it because of our ethnic culture. I don't know that Islam can in our life time.
Very interesting thought. I had a similar reminder this morning when I learned that they had beheaded the British soldier yesterday. Who does that? Who thinks it's "acceptable" to behead someone? Only a people that had spent hundreds of years following their inception (660AD) shielding themselves from the outside world. When an isolationist society spends that much time underdeveloped and then tries to play "catch up" to the rest of the world you see horrifically barbaric behavior like beheadings. We saw the same thing in China and Japan not too long ago. But as effed up as the rest of the world sometimes is... we really HAVE developed into a humane world culture.

·
Indian Larry
8,952 Posts
One difference is that the Bible doesn't support the idea of killing everyone who disagrees with you.
The Koran does.
Those who kill are supported by the "peaceful" Muslims.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,349 Posts
I long ago gave up any sympathetic feelings for Islam and its followers for the very reasons everyone here has stated. I am waiting for this outrage from them that never comes. They can claim to be afraid, but I don't give a rat's A$$ about them being afraid of the bullies. They are one of the main reasons I never leave the house unarmed, I only fly when I am the plane driver, and I am expecting the big blow up to come when some idiot Jihadist pulls the pin and blows up some city in Israel. If the fit doesn't hit the shan then, we are all in deep doodoo.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Again not an apologist for Islam (they are a pretty screwed up religion at this point) but keep in mind they haven't had the multiple re-writes that the Old and New Testaments have. And while Christianity had the good sense not to actually put some of the "rules" the old church operated by in the Bible itself there were some damn harsh rules the church enforced for over a thousand years. And even today a lot of really bad things are done in the name of Christianity.

But like I said earlier, they, unlike us may never grow out of it. And I agree that as of this moment Islam is an enemy of the US. But then so is the Westboro Baptist Church.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,349 Posts
But like I said earlier, they, unlike us may never grow out of it. And I agree that as of this moment Islam is an enemy of the US. But then so is the Westboro Baptist Church.
Agreed!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I completely agree, I have tolerated the Muslim faith, but you can't rationalize with these people. It's really sad I feel this way but the same terrible acts over and over? It really is an issue. I recently read this and it's true:
Not all terrorists are Muslim.
But most terrorists are!!
Makes sense.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Again not an apologist for Islam (they are a pretty screwed up religion at this point) but keep in mind they haven't had the multiple re-writes that the Old and New Testaments have. And while Christianity had the good sense not to actually put some of the "rules" the old church operated by in the Bible itself there were some damn harsh rules the church enforced for over a thousand years. And even today a lot of really bad things are done in the name of Christianity.

I am not aware of any "re-writes" of the Old and New Testaments. An all-knowing God hardly changes His mind, does he?

I don't want to get into an argument over the accuracy of the Bible unless it becomes material to this discussion. But, I will defend the point that the Bible does not pronounce any sort of acts of hate and violence against others as doctrine. It just doesn't. Yes, there are examples in the Old Testament of specific acts of violence against certain peoples, but it is clearly not a general directive.

As for the Westboro Baptist Church, they have no Biblical grounds whatsoever for their shenanigans, and they are doing a great deal to damage the witness of Christians everywhere. I do believe they will be accountable for that one day.

·
Aaaaayyyyy
897 Posts
... Islam is an enemy of the US. But then so is the Westboro Baptist Church.
I disagree. While I don't agree one iota with what WBC does and says, they are only trying to offend and generate media attention. They are not beheading people, trying to blow things up or trying to get the laws changed to suit their view of religion.

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
One difference is that the Bible doesn't support the idea of killing everyone who disagrees with you.
The Koran does.
Those who kill are supported by the "peaceful" Muslims.
You're right. Whether they be killers or loyal supporters they're all reading from the same instruction manual. We're allowing their mosques and violent beliefs to thrive in our country the same as the UK and then are shocked when this stuff happens.

Islam teaches one basic idea. Convert or die. Whats hard to understand about that? Muslims want to convert the world into one big violent slum where intolerance and violence rule. Most Muslim countries are barely past the Stone Age and hate any people with higher standards of living.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,349 Posts
And don't forget for a minute that they are outbreeding us by a large percentage. Can't remember which Muslim said it, but it was said that the Muslims would defeat the world by way of the wombs of their women.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
There are currently 14 different major versions of the Bible in English and in use. and it wasn't originally written in English. In fact English didn't even exist when the either the New or Old Testaments of the Bible were written and the The Torah only makes up the first five books of the Old Testament and the Catholic Church of picked the books that make up the New Testament 300 years after the death of Christ. So yes, there were some re-writes and re-edits along the way.

12 years of Jesuit education and I'm not even a Catholic.

But if you read what I wrote I did write, "And while Christianity had the good sense not to actually put some of the "rules" the old church operated by in the Bible itself there were some damn harsh rules the church enforced for over a thousand years."

I am not aware of any "re-writes" of the Old and New Testaments. An all-knowing God hardly changes His mind, does he?

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
I disagree. While I don't agree one iota with what WBC does and says, they are only trying to offend and generate media attention. They are not beheading people, trying to blow things up or trying to get the laws changed to suit their view of religion.
I was just using WBC as an example but if you don't think that protesting at the funerals isn't both anti-US and trying to foment political change then you are underestimating the power of the media.

And, if you don't think they wouldn't be out beheading Gays and Jews if they thought they would get away I think you don't see the danger in groups like WBC. But that is a conversation for another time. And there are far right wing so called Christians that are blowing stuff up. Timothy McVeigh comes to mind as do the ones that are radical anti-abortion.

The far fringes of all religions are dangerous and we need to keep an eye on them. Because if history shows anything it shows that the worse crimes a government commits are often when that government is a Theocracy.

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
I've been done worrying about Muslims since 9/11.....Never gave much of a damn about them before, and certainly haven't since then...

You can call me "intolerant" or "biggoted".......I don't care. How I feel is how I feel, and as a born & raised US citizen with the right to free speech, I can say and feel how I want to. :thumbsup

·
Indian Larry
8,952 Posts
There are currently 14 different major versions of the Bible in English and in use. and it wasn't originally written in English. In fact English didn't even exist when the either the New or Old Testaments of the Bible were written and the The Torah only makes up the first five books of the Old Testament and the Catholic Church of picked the books that make up the New Testament 300 years after the death of Christ. So yes, there were some re-writes and re-edits along the way.

12 years of Jesuit education and I'm not even a Catholic.

But if you read what I wrote I did write, "And while Christianity had the good sense not to actually put some of the "rules" the old church operated by in the Bible itself there were some damn harsh rules the church enforced for over a thousand years."
You should try to get your money back on that education.
There are different TRANSLATIONS but the text of the Bible has been miraculously preserved. The Catholic Church added 14 books, but that came later.
There are several copies of New Testament texts from the first century.
The Dead Sea scrolls are a thousand years older than any we had before and the overwhelming message is how accurate the other ones are!!
One more thing, then I'm out.
I've been where Christian extremists have been. You can tell from the hospitals and orphanages they leave behind.
I've been where the Muslim extremists have been.
You can tell from the orphans and patients THEY leave behind!

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
I've been done worrying about Muslims since 9/11.....Never gave much of a damn about them before, and certainly haven't since then...

You can call me "intolerant" or "biggoted".......I don't care. How I feel is how I feel, and as a born & raised US citizen with the right to free speech, I can say and feel how I want to. :thumbsup
Plus 1 :thumbsup

·
Noel
8,457 Posts
Hmmmmm seems some institutions 501c applications need recertification, tell me how these institutions that are educating these radicals are doing so for the general betterment of OUR society.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.