Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went in for the 5,000 mile check and oil change.

My drive belt had some slop in it. I was aware of the play when 1st accelerating or down shifting.

When I took it home, the hesitation/slop was gone; however, I noticed a new vibration that I never noticed before.

When I'm slowing down, and it hits 20 enroute to 0 I feel a NEW vibration. It wasn't there during the first 5,000 miles.

It's there whether I'm in neutral or any gear gear; whether the clutch is engaged or not; whether I'm breaking or not. Coasting or slowly accelerating from 0 past 20.

I think there is a tight spot in the belt, but they adjusted to the stretched/slop spot and at slow speeds (20 or less) it starts its vibration. And it goes away above 20 because at that point there is enough pull on the belt to loosen the tight spot enough to stop vibrating.

Or am I just pi$$ing up a rope???? And more importantly will it do damage if I don't re-adjust it.

I took it back and the mechanic rode it and said he didn't notice any unusual Harley vibrations. ?????????

:DeadHorse:

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,058 Posts
Joe, if all they did was tighten up the belt, it is possible that the wheel is not running true and needs to be realigned.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You shouldn't have any high or low spots with a belt if adjusted right it shouldn't vibrate maybe the rear wheel is out of adjustment and not tracking properly?

·
Retired citizen
24,366 Posts
Yup, pissin' up a rope ! Yer ass is too sensitive !
Everyone that rides Harleys over an extended period of time, what ever kind of Harley they ride starts to get sensitive to the feel of their ride ! Especially when they feel something new or different !
Harleys don't always feel the same from day to day !

·
Registered
13,086 Posts
Is tension on belt correct. Can you check it...?

Had odd vibration while cruising freeway. Something did not feel right. Power was good. Engine temp normal. Next ride filled tank with Chevron 91, out side temp was 45f. Engine felt great, more power, smooth on highway. Always runs better on cooler days which is normal. May be it was cheaper brand of fuel prior to refilling with Chevron..:dunno

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
I had a similar experience after a tire change...odd vibration that was not there before. Took it back and Service Mgr thought that it all looked good but asked the Technician to check it over again, paying particular attention to the rear axle alignment. Sometimes when torquing down the nut, the axle may slip just a touch. After the second look, vibration gone and everything worked great.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Schmidty I think that's what the mechanic thought.

Thanks for everyone's input. One last question.

If the rear wheel was out of alignment:
wouldn't the bike pull to one side (it doesn't. It tracks true.)
wouldn't I feel the problem all the time instead of just at 20 mph or less

Now with this vibration, I know when I hit 20 (when slowing) because it ALWAYS starts up at that point. Never above, but always from 20 down to 0 or near 0.

Again, I didn't notice it ever before until after the adjustment. But the mechanic rode checked it and said he didn't feel anything out of ordinary.

But it did startle me because I knew it wasn't there before.
(and yes I know that's a most hated phrase for repair joints) I used to have a transmission shop. The other hated phrase is "I'll be back" (now that you gave me a price)

·
Poser Member # 99
18,223 Posts
Check belt tension and check adjusted to see if there in the same spot. Was the mechanic a new young guy just learning .
I was just at tractor dealer getting parts for my tractor and the new kid out back couldn't figure out why he was breaking the new bolts of in the crank shaft putting the flywheel back on . The Parts guy told him they should work but they were a 1/4 in longer and the crank shaft had blind holes in it so the bottomed out and he kept trying to tighten them because the flywheel was still loose .
Oh ya the parts guy was about 20 years old too .

Dumb and Dummer and these guys are working on your Stuff .

But some of them are Learning Duh

·
Registered
13,086 Posts
May be same mechanic who road tested it, did the work originally. Not wanting recheck his work....?

·
On the loose
8,724 Posts
Belt tension / rear wheel alignment are done together if done correctly , the adjuster bolts set the tension , they also at the same time adjust rear wheel alignment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts