Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... something that I only hear about... especially from those V-Rod guys ( :D )... I went to take the bike out for a ride today, for the first time it what was aparrently too long I guess... wouldn't start due to a dead battery. crap. :mad:

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've had the same thing happen. All suited up, helmet on, key on, run switch on, start. NADA! Time for a new battery, or a battery tender.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've had the same thing happen. All suited up, helmet on, key on, run switch on, start. NADA! Time for a new battery, or a battery tender.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I would give LOTS to see this. :D

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
I can relate. Has happened more than once to me, including with the VRSCA. Also reminds me what my sales manager friend mentioned to me last week... after four weeks of nasty weather he was finally going to be able to ride to work. Got all ready, pointed the bike towards the road... click - click - click. Dead battery.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It's probably a good idea from the Swedish Harley Davidson to ship an complimentary CTEK battry charger with every new Harley.:)

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
I have 43,383 on my RK with the original battery. I never put a charger on it until this winter. I noticed it had a little drag when I first cranked it towards the end of the fall riding season. I bought a Battery-Tender and hooked it up. Cranked it the other day to move from one garage to the other and it still cranks a little slow at first. I figure a new battery is the fix before this years riding season begins.

As a pre-caution I made me a set of 8' jumper cables with #12 AWG SIS wire and 25 amp clips, just in case.

I hear the original H-D battery is just as good or better than the aftermarket ones and usually cheaper.

·
Registered
84 Posts
While the scenerio described sucks, there is actually a bright side to it...... at least the battery crapped out in your garage and not on the road a long way from anywhere. :ride

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
Another thig worth checking is battery earths ( ground ) and all connections. I've also noticed bikes that are always connected to a trickle charger when garaged need batteries sooner :confused: My Heritage still had the original 5 year old battery when I sold it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Travis mentioned to me that if I was not going to be riding very regularly that I should get something that I assume is a battery tender. I was prepared for the worst with all the stories I've heard, but good old Travis is a prince and a gentleman. I have heard nothing but good things about their sister (and original) dealership in Mandan.

No nasty remarks about any of the bikes. Told me sit on all the ones I thought I was interested in and some I didn't. Reminded me the right fit was for ME.

They were sucky a year and a half ago, and changed management and they bend over backward to make you happy.

Not only him but everyone else. I just can't think of anything bad to say about them. They are all long-time riders.

Nope, Travis is the man, that's all I can say. Their office staff is awesome too (so far). We'll see.

I had gone to a Suzuki and a Yamaha/Honda dealership up the road last year and they could have give a s**t less. :eek: I guess it all depends on the individual dealership.

No one laughed at me or even smirked though God knows they had plenty of reason watching me attempt to throw my leg over with a pulled groin muscle. I still have bruises from just trying the bikes out from my ankle to my knee. No one cared and I never left like a fool, which was a huge surprise to me. I am trying not expect that kind of treatment all the time, but it looks very possible. I'm going to make up some posters for Travis and post them "way out here" at our local cafe's.

lucinda007

1 - 11 of 11 Posts