Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all and welcome to the new year. I'm not a owner yet i been checking prices my budget will allow 2008 to 09 street or electra glide i want to know on the 08 the frame do they have after market parts to make the frame stronger sense 09 frames are stronger.I never rode one before i'm coming from a sport bike rider, what is consider high miles on these 2 year bikes.Reason i would get a ultra classic it comes with the tour pack that can remove,lower fairings,ground clearance is more, the front passing lights i like and the saddle bag bar guards.i know i've been on youtube at least a week looking at how to videos these HD's are not complicated to work on. do you get better deals before or riding season.

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
Best deals is when the New models are coming out.
That worked for me twice.
Welcome from Az

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Best deals are usually in winter months. The '08 is a single year only model. I would avoid one, only because there are so many small differences, that buying accessories can be complicated. Harleys are basically easy to work on. Like all vehicles, the newer they are, the more complicated the electrical data management system is.

·
Super Moderator
4,249 Posts
Welcome from Virginia. Some great knowledge here, enjoy.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If you are going to do much 2 up riding, depending on the passengers leg length, you may want to consider a 2014 or later Ultra. The saddle bag "crash" bars were changed in 14 to a more swept back and lower design giving short legged passengers more room underneath their legs and less rubbing. The removable Tour Pak is not standard on an ULTRA, (I've got one) you have to buy a kit to convert it to be able to remove it. (I bought one and LOVE it for solo riding).
I would expect better deals now most places in the Northern Hemisphere. Good luck with your hunt and post pics once you get your new ride!

·
old scoot coot
3,458 Posts
welcome aboard glide from s.e. kansas. definitely go with the 09 or later. the newer frame and wider rear tire of the 09 make the 08 a deal breaker. take your time and find a slick one with as low of milage as possible under 50,000 is good. not much diff between and 8 and 9 anyway. get one that has good maint records that show what has been done since new. you will find the one that gives you that warm fuzzy, just don't be in a rush. there are many really good buys out there in the gently used dept. stick around for purchase info and have some fun. again welcome to the harley world. ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did a test ride on the 09 ultra glide yesterday luckly i been watching youtube on tips how to ride the glide it was a different total ride from my sport bike i liked it for sure.

·
old scoot coot
3,458 Posts
By the way fellas i'm in st.louis mo. thanks for the warm welcome. so i will stick with 09 /10 if possible got my eye on a 09 eltra glide with 20,000 miles.
there ya go! if its clean, without battle damage, and well maintained it might be your new baby. ?

·
Señor Member
19,665 Posts
I think fall and winter are the best deals. Good luck and welcome.

Reactions: tommytailspin

·
Registered
136 Posts
Really nice black is the best color.did you replace the parts yourself?I will be doing 3 hole fluid changes, brakes I have so many ?.
Have used aftermarket parts or Strickly HD parts& fluids & accessories. Thanks

·
old scoot coot
3,458 Posts
Really nice black is the best color.did you replace the parts yourself?I will be doing 3 hole fluid changes, brakes I have so many ?.
Have used aftermarket parts or Strickly HD parts& fluids & accessories. Thanks
TWO TONE, black and chrome! i like black too. it definitely encourages you too keep it clean. a dirty back bike aint vivid black.? mostly aftermarket parts, dennis kirk and j&p cycles are a cuple of good suppliers. there are a million opinions on fluids. kainam has the most information on his stickies i've ever seen. everyone almost would agree that engine oil should be full synthetic because of its superior performance in hot conditions. at least a gl5 rated gear oil in transmission and primary 2 million opinions. after much research and advise from our best harley experts i myself decided to use mobil one 15/50 synthetic car oil in the engine. i use store brand walmart semi senthetic or full synthetic gl5 rated 75/90 or 85/140 gear oil in transmission and dextron III in the primary. that is just me. you will have to read up and decide. the one thing we would mostly agree on is use a full synthetic oil in the crankcase/ oil tank.? congratulations on you new scoot. take good care of it do all scheduled maintenance and it will last a very long time. don't hesitate to ask for info and advice because there some very very knowledgable harley gurus on this site of which im not one. i have taken their advice and guidence and used the info they passed along on this forum and it has inriched my harley experience exponentialy. these guys will help. treat them with respect they deserve it for offering their help so freely. the only thing i take mine in for svc on now is tires. when i got my first harley i was pretty much afraid to do anything but oil changes and like you i didn't know what fluids to use then. welcome aboard glide. sounds like you will do your wrenching too. the fellas on here will be happy to help you make that happen. btw i'm in coffeyville. 60 miles west of joplin. nice to have you with us! send pics of your new scoot, we like photos.

·
Registered
136 Posts
  • TWO TONE, black and chrome! i like black too. it definitely encourages you too keep it clean. a dirty back bike aint vivid black.? mostly aftermarket parts, dennis kirk and j&p cycles are a cuple of good suppliers. there are a million opinions on fluids. kainam has the most information on his stickies i've ever seen. everyone almost would agree that engine oil should be full synthetic because of its superior performance in hot conditions. at least a gl5 rated gear oil in transmission and primary 2 million opinions. after much research and advise from our best harley experts i myself decided to use mobil one 15/50 synthetic car oil in the engine. i use store brand walmart semi senthetic or full synthetic gl5 rated 75/90 or 85/140 gear oil in transmission and dextron III in the primary. that is just me. you will have to read up and decide. the one thing we would mostly agree on is use a full synthetic oil in the crankcase/ oil tank.? congratulations on you new scoot. take good care of it do all scheduled maintenance and it will last a very long time. don't hesitate to ask for info and advice because there some very very knowledgable harley gurus on this site of which im not one. i have taken their advice and guidence and used the info they passed along on this forum and it has inriched my harley experience exponentialy. these guys will help. treat them with respect they deserve it for offering their help so freely. the only thing i take mine in for svc on now is tires. when i got my first harley i was pretty much afraid to do anything but oil changes and like you i didn't know what fluids to use then. welcome aboard glide. sounds like you will do your wrenching too. the fellas on here will be happy to help you make that happen. btw i'm in coffeyville. 60 miles west of joplin. nice to have you with us! send pics of your new scoot, we like photos.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I picked up my 09 ultra today on a snowy day.will need a new key lock for gas lid was able to get it open .
CONGRATULATION on your new ride!
Those locking lids... believe it or not.. are designed to work with "any" round key! o_O The problem is with that finicky button that's in the center of the lock. I use the edge of my round key to push in the very center of that button, then very quickly release the applied pressure. this allows the catch to "pop open". These are tricky to get the hang of opening. They will pop open when you cuss at it enough! :whistle:
I installed the lock after someone thought it funny to pop open the cover while my bike was parked at work.. :(i wasn't laughing.. However, if you want to replace that lock with the factory button, you can have the one i took off mine. Just let me know..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes I will try dennis Kirk and I do have HD dealers close to me and I will pick everyone brains? with ??.I'll do a pic of it.thanks
CONGRATULATION on your new ride!
Those locking lids... believe it or not.. are designed to work with "any" round key! o_O The problem is with that finicky button that's in the center of the lock. I use the edge of my round key to push in the very center of that button, then very quickly release the applied pressure. this allows the catch to "pop open". These are tricky to get the hang of opening. They will pop open when you cuss at it enough! :whistle:
I installed the lock after someone thought it funny to pop open the cover while my bike was parked at work.. :(i wasn't laughing.. However, if you want to replace that lock with the factory button, you can have the one i took off mine. Just let me know..
So could anyone with a HD key unlock the bars and start the bike?or its just the gas cap cover that any key will work.
So you got a key that has special cuts on it?Yes I will love to have that you took off.can you PM me then.I took the battery out to get it tested I think it's bad and the dealer must had it on a charge before I test ride it and when they put it on my trailer?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts