Harley Davidson Forums banner

141 - 154 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
When i went in to take the test for my M/C permit @ 14, after i completed the test and gave it to the Highway Patrol Officer at the desk. He took a quick glance at it and said "Aren't you Harold T's boy?" I responded with a yes sir... He tore up my test and tossed it in the trash can. :eek: I was thinking "What did Dad do to piss this guy off?" As he was shuffling paperwork into a large envelope. The Officer handed me the envelope and told me to take it to my Dad and have him sign it. When i ask him how i was supposed to get there, he responded with "Well, you rode your motorcycle here didn't you?" It baffled me that a cop is telling me to ride without a license to get signatures... I rode over to the Asphalt Plant and caught dad, just as he pulled up.

Then I returned to the Highway Patrol station: The Officer told me to stand on that line then, took my picture. (I no kidding thought i was being booked!) His demeanor was well, less than cordial.
Next thing i know, he says "Here ya go" handing me my license..

I read the "CLASS: A,M,R." Being a tad confused, I asked, he said: "Its a Class A, with a M/C endorsement, with Restrictions." So what are the restrictions, he told me i can not drive a Bus with more than 21 people on it. Because i was not yet 21 years old! :rolleyes:

He then explained to me why Wyoming does this:
My parents own and operate a business which involves cars, trucks and heavy equipment. The State knows that i would be operating that equipment anyway, so they just as well make it legal to do so.

I did not take any test (that was "looked at", anyways). No skills test, nothin'. Just my pop's signature.
The Officer did explain that "If" i wreck, It will be the business and insurance that has to pay and that he was quite sure that dad would take it out of my hide... Well, No KIDDIN'...

My M/C was a Ossa 250 Pioneer, that it took little time for me to loose interest in, now being licensed for nearly anything on the road. Besides M/C's don't have a very good heater! Wyoming winters are STUPID Cold!

My very first "Open Highway" drive was in a Kenworth.. Pulling a 26" tandem rock crusher. From Bear Oil to Rawlins Wyoming. (About 130 miles). It wasn't until we reached the plant in Rawlins, when i told dad, "Well, you could have showed me the gear pattern before leaving me in Bear Oil". Yep' well before i ever drove a car. It wasn't until i was 17. when i had my first fender-bender. On black ice, in town, driving a 4wd Bronco.

Nothin like learning by doing!

The coolest part was going to school in Utah, Jr High, being the only student with a D/L. But little did i know how much i should have cherished that Commercial License.
that’s a awesome story. How old are you now tho?
And my grandfather told me once he was the only kid who drove in third grade he also told me he was the only one who shaved every morning and was already married expecting kids. Turns out my grandfather wasn’t very educated. He said he quit school because of recess. He dint have time for that shit. He had work today 😂😂 I miss that man something crazy

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
that’s a awesome story. How old are you now tho?
And my grandfather told me once he was the only kid who drove in third grade he also told me he was the only one who shaved every morning and was already married expecting kids. Turns out my grandfather wasn’t very educated. He said he quit school because of recess. He dint have time for that shit. He had work today 😂😂 I miss that man something crazy
I turned 14. in 1972. I will hit the big 63 in September...So looking forward to retirement!
My pop made it through the 7th grade before leaving school to work the ranch and saw-mills. He was born in 1919. He made it up till 1988. There are times i feel his presents along the rides, not kidding.

·
Registered
157 Posts
We're not limited to 600cc at 16. I've been riding street legal motorcycles ever since I was first able to and have never been without a motorcycle of some sort since then. Been without cars for a 10 year stretch, but never a motorcycle.
Please have him take the MSF Beginning Rider Course. It's the right way to learn. Hell. I wish some of the guys I ride with had taken it. They would be better riders now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I turned 14. in 1972. I will hit the big 63 in September...So looking forward to retirement!
My pop made it through the 7th grade before leaving school to work the ranch and saw-mills. He was born in 1919. He made it up till 1988. There are times i feel his presents along the rides, not kidding.
Awesome. And see that’s why that story makes sense about you getting that license. . Back then people put common Sense over anything else.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Please have him take the MSF Beginning Rider Course. It's the right way to learn. Hell. I wish some of the guys I ride with had taken it. They would be better riders now.
If you meant that for me the. Yea. He took it. Mostly for the huge insurance break. He has raced motocross sense he was in first grade. And I let him on the road way before that Harley lol we live in the country so from a early age I had him out and about with helmet coms teaching him the road rules . Same with driving a car . He learned to drive a manual car a long time ago. He even took his driving test in a Toyota 5 speed truck. And the lady giving the test admitted she couldn’t drive a manual. He turned 18 in sept and that Harley I posted pictures of has just hit 15k miles lol. I see so many kids with zero experience getting thrown in stuff at 16 just because they was able to pass a test and it’s very dangerous. For them and the public. We also own a 400 acre motocross park with two car dirt tracks so he grew up on tractors and loaders dump trucks. All that stuff and I’m sure that’s helped.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here he is years ago getting driving in the snow training lol. We have old log roads that go around our park so I’d let him practice on those lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here he is at 16 getting our camping hookups site ready He is a decent human. It was my biggest fear having a kid. I was afraid he wouldn’t be interested in stuff like this and would just want to play video games. I don’t even think he owns any video games. If he does I never see him playing them.

·
Registered
40,724 Posts
Have who take the MSF course???

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I don’t even think he owns any video games. If he does I never see him playing them.
It's been my experience that kids don't have money to buy video games on their own. If they have a room full of video games, that's my fault! Kids will play with whatever you buy them. Be it a tractor or video game.

By the way, good choice Scum!

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's been my experience that kids don't have money to buy video games on their own. If they have a room full of video games, that's my fault! Kids will play with whatever you buy them. Be it a tractor or video game.

By the way, good choice Scum!
Thats a very good point! I think most the time tho parents these days buy there kids stuff like that to serve more as “baby sitters”. I never wanted to have kids. But my wife wasn’t taking that. So I decided before she ever got pregnant. If I was going to do it I was going to do it the best of my ability. It’s a fine line tho between doing whatever you can and spoiling them. I got lucky tho. He is 18 now. In college for welding and electrical degrees works a full time job and helps me at the track part time. I made sure he has respect and a good work ethic.

141 - 154 of 154 Posts