Harley Davidson Forums banner

I was hit

4K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  southernman_67 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 Street Glide CVO . Blue paint with flames . A car ran me off the road because driver was not paying attention and did not signal . I dropped the bike and I have front fender damage. Scratch and paint and metal dents slightly. And a small scrape on the batwing fairing on left edge. Nothing else was damaged. How much do you think body work will be . I’m new to Harley repairs . Will I need a new front fender or can they bend it straight and repaint. And the batwing fairing is plastic . Can the scrape be repaired and painted or do I have to buy and whole new fairing for one little scuff? And very important as it is a 2010 CVO with that years custom paint . Can it be color matched and flames put back on ? What do the experts say ?

#2 ·
It can be matched provided the paint code has been released and you have a competent painter... or you can order a new one from factory, all they need is Vin # and $$$.

#4 ·
Heck of a first post, welcome to the forum and hope you weren't hurt.

Hopefully you had insurance. this is not gonna be cheap. Best bet is to go through the dealer and have a new color matched fairing and fender. It takes the factory a long time do custom replacements like that. Were the flames factory or added?

Fenders are tough (not impossible) to straighten, but a good body guy is going to charge by the hour. The scraped fairing, depending on how bad may or may not be able to be touched up, but now it will always be the weak point and might crack later.

Your next best bet is to see your local paint and body guy. Maybe it's time to repaint the whole bike. Matching 10 year fade could get interesting.

#5 ·
Take to dealer for estimate , that will determine much of which way you go. If dealer writes for new parts and insurance company agrees , there ya go. If not you might have to come out of pocket a portion to get new parts as bike is older.

With that said a " GOOD" bodyman should be able to make it look new .... without pictures what you described doesn't sound too bad. if you go that route check around and get opinions about bodymen a lot can slap bondo on a car a make it look half decent , bikes are smaller area you are looking at so you want repair perfect. Check to see if your bodyman has painted bikes.

#6 ·
I've never seen a dealership "fix" something, they "replace" it. It's unlikely H.D. has your year/color CVO bodywork in stock. Ask about cost before you have H.D. dealer do an estimate. Usually quite expensive, but refunded if repairs are done by them. Color matching old paint is difficult, may be time for repaint. I dropped my 1 yr. old bike the first week I owned it, and put a 1/2 dollar size scrape on the fairing. It's been sporting a USA flag decal over the scratch since then.

#7 ·
I am going to "toss this out there" as a lead for you , I also own a 2010 CVO Streetglide and in a general conversation was told that Gunslinger Paint in Golden Colorado (other side of town from me) did the CVO paint jobs for Harley (at least back then)... It might not hurt to follow that lead if you are serious about getting it back to original. https://gcpaint.com/

#9 ·
Something to consider if the fender is too badly damaged to repair. Check on line for a used one. But as already mentioned be tough matching that old a paint. May be :|

#10 ·
You didn't say, but I hope that you weren't injured as well. Wife and I were on our way to pick up Chinese takeout tonight for us and the kids, and there's a classic car show being held at a mall along the route there. We were stopped at a light, and some idiot in a Challenger came flying through the intersection, making a left-hand turn, fishtailing the whole way. Almost took out 3 other cars in the process.

Here's to hoping you can get it fixed, but like others have said, it gets expensive very quickly, and HD doesn't repair - they replace. What I thought was a minor low-side on my first bike, a 2019 Iron 883 turned out to be over $7,500 in damage. On a $9K bike, insurance just totaled it out.

I'll be pulling for you either way.

#11 ·
Y
What I thought was a minor low-side on my first bike, a 2019 Iron 883 turned out to be over $7,500 in damage. On a $9K bike, insurance just totaled it out.

I'll be pulling for you either way.
Was there offer to allow you to by it back? Bought my Vette back after they totaled it. Valued at 8K at that time, bought it back for 1300.

Reactions: Reformed Cager
#12 ·
No, or at least it wasn't voiced to me/sent in any form. It went to auction. Truthfully, still being so new to bikes (remember, it was like 23 hours after I bought it that I went down) and having never worked on one - I would've been leery. If they offered, could I have bought it back for cheap and had it fixed up? Yeah. But I didn't know what I didn't know, either. It always would've been in the back of my mind "is it really as good as it was when it was new?" Plus the thought of a salvage or rebuilt title wasn't great if/when I did decide to trade it in or sell it to upgrade.

Damage was:

Dented tank (no issue with the paint, I could've lived with it)
Broken front wheel
Broken rear brake and peg
Toasted exhaust
Broken rear right-turn signal
Damage to the triple tree
*Edit - there was some talk about frame damage, but I didn't see it - again, too new to know what to look for

That's what I could see. Who knows what else may have been up with it electrically, etc. Factor in parts plus the standard labor charges - it was going to be expensive.

#17 ·
Dealer cost will be damn near double from a body shop.
The body shops can get the paint code from HD or the nearest dealer.
Like they said the dealer will just replace stuff.
Not painting it.
So most likely they will have to order the part painted from HD which takes time [emoji849].
Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.