Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told I need to tune if I install an after market intake. I purchased the 2013 XL883N with screaming eagles exhaust installed. A mechanic told me I can get away with installing one of the two (pipes or intake) without tuning. Considering the pipes are already installed and I now want to install Kuryakyn Black Blood Groove Hypercharger w/ Black Butterflies | 403-002 | J&P Cycles Kuryakyn intake. Do I need to worry about tuning the bike afterwards? Also whats the best way to go about it?
Thanks for the help

Attachments

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Nice bike and nice picture. Can't help with your question, sorry.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
Nice pic.

Call FuelMoto and have them hook you up. They know tuning and have great customer service.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
You can install both exhaust and filter/intake, and it will run OK. But if you want to take full advantage of the install, you will need to tune. Could be as simple as a XIED setup.

·
Registered
483 Posts
you will probably need a tune however you can purchase tuners in different capacities i.e either manual tune with a map or autotune. cobra and Power Commander are two other than the V&H and can be purchased win either the auto or Map configurations. I have a Cobra auto tune on one of my bikes and a PCV with the Map on the othr. If you are not going to be making frequent changes there is not really any need for an autotune as usually you can get a good map for your application unless you are reinventing the wheel

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
IMO your bike already gets plenty of air with the stock filter. No need to tune until you add something that requires additional air, like a cam. A tune will help your already super lean 14:7-1 epa fuel ratio though.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I don't think you will need to tune however you probably won't get any benefit unless you do. As for tuners, since you can use the newest V and H fuelpak on 2013s, I would recommend the a dynojet. I have loved my powervision. If you plan on doing 1200 conversion or cams they're the way to go. I don't know if the fuelmoto will compensate for those upgrades but I have heard they have excellent customer service and have no problem answering any questions you have about their product. Also I was told by the dealers in AZ(don't know if it's true) that the dealer stage 1 download no longer increases your gas just basically your rev limit. With that I wouldn't bother since the point is to increase the gas so it doesn't run so lean.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well that was a copious amount of info from well knowledgeable folk. Much appreciated my friends. Would it be safe to say I can physically add the intake in addition to the pipes and then ride it (10 miles tops) to get it tuned without causing any engine or bike damage after install? Bare with these questions, ill learn someday haha.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
My riding buddy has an '07 Electra Glide with Screaming Eagle stage 1 air filter kit, and Thunderheader exhaust. No tuner, no download and nearly 40,000 miles on it. It runs fine
(not real strong), no decel popping and 45+ mpg. My identical bike has cams, air filter kit, S.E. exhaust and a fuel pak. I get 40 mpg riding with him, but pull away from him in one gear higher.
His exhaust is light grey, mine is very dark grey.
So,, yes you can ride it a few miles with no problems.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
You can ride it forever, and not harm it. The FI system will keep it in the safe range, without doing anything to it. Read about the XIED's they are just the ticket for your basically stock bike with only free flowing exhaust and maybe a better flowing air filter. Like I said, without enriching the mixture a small amount, you wont gain much performance, but you won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Install the intake you want, then ride it for a little while to determine
how well it runs. Once you've ridden it, you'll know if you need a tune
or if it's good enough as is.

A good tune will get you the most of your set up though.

Good Luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts