Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When by bike is idling every now and then there is a loud squeak come from the motor and the bike wants to shut off. It only happens at ilde, and not that often. Its sounds like if you are watching a video on youtube and theres a digital "glitch" and you get that chirp from the speakers. It seems to be coming from the front cyl. I was setting the idles and it felt like it came from the front cyl through the FI throttle body.

Any ideas would be appricated on this.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The lifter roller bearing is going bad! When the roller bearing on the lifter starts to go bad then you will get a squeak and the engine will also shutter once in awhile when the roller hangs up on the cam.
The lifters on the rear cylinder usually go bad first but you should replace all the lifters and you should do the R&R before there is cam damage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
for sure. btw, its a 2001 screamin eagle road glide, it has porting, 211 cams, V&H pro pipe, stage 2 screamin eagle intake, PCIII, etc.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Sounds like it's time to look in the cam chest . Check the cam chain tensioners , and look at the lifters while you are in there . Might as well see what the crank run-out is , you're already there anyway .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The screamin eagle oil pump cam tensioner setup was installed not 2000 miles ago. All that "should" be good. when that was installed, new rings, every gasket etc in the motor was replaced. that being said, my primary is leaking again. I am starting to loose faith in the mechanic at the local dealer. Time to dive in myself and do it right.

·
Banned
71 Posts
The screamin eagle oil pump cam tensioner setup was installed not 2000 miles ago. All that "should" be good. when that was installed, new rings, every gasket etc in the motor was replaced. that being said, my primary is leaking again. I am starting to loose faith in the mechanic at the local dealer. Time to dive in myself and do it right.
If motor needed new rings, new lifters should have been installed as well . If they installed a new cam without using new lifters, the "mechanic" needs a good talking too .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts