Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on doing some riding to work more often and it's probably 85-90% highway riding and I was wondering if anyone (with the Electra Glide Ultra Classic) has found the ideal speed for the best mpg. What do you think is the best speed to obtain the best highway mileage?

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
I seem to get my best mileage(38-40) at 70-75 mph if on the interstate.
My best overall mileage is when cruising off the interstate in 55mph areas doing 60-65mph I get 42-45 mpg, even got 46mpg once.
These bikes are heavy and push a lot of air so I don't expect to get great mileage.:bikerguy:

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
I get the best milage at 65 mph, but Iiii caaaan't drrrrrive 65.
So, I get what I get at whatever speed I go.
In the end it's 150 miles to the tank unless I'm punching up through the mountains.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I don't think a 5-10 mph range in highway cruising speeds makes that much difference. I do notice, however, that laying off the hard starts and aggressive acceleration makes a giant difference in how much gas I use.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
I think the best I got was 45 mpg, that was all back roads, double nickel to 60.. but the real reason was I had to gas up on regular, so I stayed off of it until I could get a tank of premium. I know its a RK but its a heavy bike too.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
60 - 70 mph was the best for me.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
Well a study done by the dmv yrs ago said that 55 was optimum hence why alot of older cars had a little red mark at 55 and rest of the marks were white. Same holds true now a days. I get better economy if i run 55 on local four lane from a- b then if i hit the interstate and run 70. Even when i use 6th. I ran with parents one day, a total of 250 miles of nothing but 45-60 on backroads and got 50mpg on my 2010 ultra. My average mileage is about 40-45.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,009 Posts
I find that mileage drops off noticably above arund 65-67. Cruising at 70-75 yields an average of 40-41. Also, as Chas notes, those rocket starts burn a lot of gas.

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
I get the best mileage when I could give two pucks. Which is never. I enjoy my ride and check the fuel when I stop to take a break. It's a great system that works like a charm and you find yourself not worrying about how many miles to the gallon your bike can get.

If you've had a license to drive or ride anything for more than six months, you hopefully already understand all the issues that can affect gas mileage. Windspeed, wind direction, how much weight are you carrying, are you hauling ass off the line or in general, what's the terrain like, how aerodynamic are you, tire pressure, etc, etc, etc, etc. Unfortunately, none of these variables is constant, so you're dealing with a very complex and very long "word problem" whose solution is yet another variable.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
My biggest problem in commuting gas smileage is this. In my truck 14mpg, 16 miles to work. I average a gallon each way. I drive it only when needed. On my bike i get 40-45mpg. But i take the long way to work and long way home if i feel like it so i still get a gallon each way.... lol my saying is you dont save gas money owning a bike, you just more fun per gallon......

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well a study done by the dmv yrs ago said that 55 was optimum hence why alot of older cars had a little red mark at 55 and rest of the marks were white...
Are you sure that's why the red mark was there? I was always under the impression that it was because during those times, that was the top speed limit on highways. But I may be wrong :)

·
Banned
482 Posts
I don't understand it but at 72mph in 6th gear I get 40-42mpg. Drop down to 5th gear at 62mph I get 44-46. Same damn RPM. Only thing that makes a little sense is maybe the lower gear keeps the bike from maybe barely lugging on the up and downs. So I go 78mph and not worry about mpg!

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I don't understand it but at 72mph in 6th gear I get 40-42mpg. Drop down to 5th gear at 62mph I get 44-46. Same damn RPM. Only thing that makes a little sense is maybe the lower gear keeps the bike from maybe barely lugging on the up and downs. So I go 78mph and not worry about mpg!
Wind resistance!!! It gets exponentially higher the faster you go!!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
My biggest problem in commuting gas smileage is this. In my truck 14mpg, 16 miles to work. I average a gallon each way. I drive it only when needed. On my bike i get 40-45mpg. But i take the long way to work and long way home if i feel like it so i still get a gallon each way.... lol my saying is you dont save gas money owning a bike, you just more fun per gallon......

aint that the truth 4mpg my truck fun mpg,s on bike:)

·
Earth-bound Misfit
607 Posts
Are you sure that's why the red mark was there? I was always under the impression that it was because during those times, that was the top speed limit on highways. But I may be wrong :)
You youngsters obviously don't remember the good old days of the 55 mph national speed limit. Instituted by President Nixon as a temporary measure during the Arab oil embargo in 1973, IIRC. Temporary became permanent for many years. That's what the little red "55" was on your speedo, a thoughtful reminder from Uncle Sam. They also required that speedometers couldn't read above 85 mph...so you wouldn't be tempted to stray.

Be thankful we live in more enlightened times...

·
Registered
416 Posts
That 55 mph speedo was the brainchild of Joan Claybrook, the head of NHTSA. I believe she was appointed by the former worst president, Jimmy Carter

Sent from my KFTT using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
280 Posts
You get the best fuel mileage in your top gear at the lowest RPM that doesn't lug the engine.

Remember that as speed increases the power required is squared.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
True. That is why the speed limits stayed at 55 for so long. After the fuel crunch of the 70's the government wanted to make everythong more efficient. So they kept the speed limits at 55.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts