Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
When mine was stock all I managed to do is piss off the engine by following the manual. She liked to be wound out a bit before going to 5th. After a tuner, cams and pipes, shift by ear, she's a happy camper.

·
Registered
277 Posts
When I bought my 2007 883 I immediately put on a tach. If not in a hurry I shift between 3 and 4 grand. Got a tach story. When younger I decided to road race. Converted a 650 Triumh and I was good to go. At my first race the riders are shooting the breeze, looking at each others bikes, and a guy comes up and says, "where's your tach?" I said O, I don't need one, I have rode this bike for years, I know the engine. He then explains that once on the starting grid they let you warm up your engines, witlh 25 bikes running with open pipes you cannot hear your engine. People have blown up their engines on the starting grid because with no tach they didn't have a clue on how fast they were turning theirs. I thought he was pulling my leg untill my race came up. With 25 guys elbow to elbow you didn't have a clue on how fast you were turning, I finally just let the engine idle untill the flag dropped. I had a tach the next week!

·
V-Twin Junkie
236 Posts
Fun story, but a tach on a street Harley is a luxury item, especially in F.I. bikes with rev-limiters. The speedometer is good if you're alone on the roadway-otherwise, you have traffic flow as a baseline.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts