Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to change the Handlebars on my 1200 Custom. What y'll recommend to go with. Currently have stock handlebar, but I feel the pain for longer rides.
I am thinking about Ape Hangers , would be comfortable with 10" to 12"...what you guys think? Also it would be nice to keep the original Wires...
Anyone here had their Handlebar changed on their HOG? Would appreciate if you could put some pics...

Thanks in Advance...

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
A little trick to try to get you closer to what may work for you without a bunch of trial and error.

Have a friend there with a tape measure. Set on the bike with it upright. Assume your normal riding posture.
Close your eyes and reach out to a comfortable natural position. Have your friend measure the distance from the top of the triple tree to the bottom of your hands.
This should be a comfortable height and width to shoot for on your new bars.
If the width is about right you may be able to just get risers.
But also pay attention to the angle of the current grips as opposed to your wrists.
This can be a cause of discomfort too.

As far as wiring and cables. On most/all Big Twins you have about 2 inches of slack in both. The slack in the wiring can be achieved by snipping some wire ties between the tanks. Not sure on a Sporty.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just changed my bars to 10" mini apes 1/1/4" diameter on my Road King and love them. The electrical was a pain on the right side because of the throttle by wire. I also had to change out my front brake lines. Well worth it!

The Harley dealer figured I'd be okay with the cables but no dice.....LOL I never had to change out my throttle by wire as it had plenty of length.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
If you go with 10 or higher apes, you will definitely have to change the cables and electrical wiring. It's not a big deal, I changed out mine myself and I'm not an expert or master mechanic at all. Check out Burly Brand, good products at great prices.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What year bike do you have? How tall are you?

My XL is 2012 and I have 11" bars in mine. Purchased the Gorrilla cables which are color coded for your year/model which made it extremely easy to pair up with the original electrical cables.
Kept my original clutch cable, changed to FXR throttle and idle cable and different front brake cable.

You don't need too mechanically inclined but take your time and take pictures along the way so that in the event you "forget what goes where" you can always go back to your pictures. I believe I may have some pics of my install and can post them...
Scale of 1-10, it's about 4. I would invest in heat gun for shrink tubing and smaller zip ties and a pin remover for your OE connectors which always comes in handy. Otherwise a nice long needle does the trick too. Also, if you plan on running your wiring inside the bars for a MUCH cleaner look, by some ball-bead chain. You can purchase these at Lowes, Home Depot in the ceiling fan area. They come in long lengths and work great for pulling your cable through your bars. :)

Here's a pic of my XL with 11" bars. When riding, my arms are almost at the same height of my shoulders.

Here's an install I did on my friends Softail. They were 14" spiked bars (and yes it was quite a pain getting the wiring around the extremely sharp corner. Note the exact length the wiring is cut and pins already installed on the Gorrilla cables for both the left and right side color coded.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Ya might want to con sider longer risers and a set of drag bars for some reason I like the look and may go with that myself me being 6'2 on a little 883 sporty but the 2 up seat gets me my height in the rear. Now a semi chop is looking realy comfortable as well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts