Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just purchased a 2014 HD Breakout and have no idea what to use for an "overnighter"??? I could wear a backpack, but, apparently thats "dumb" on a Harley. O.K... so what other suggestions? I'm not about to mount on saddle bags to this slick ride. Bungee a backpack onto the rear seat? Please help, this is bugging me.

·
Banned
71 Posts
So, I just purchased a 2014 HD Breakout and have no idea what to use for an "overnighter"??? I could wear a backpack, but, apparently thats "dumb" on a Harley. O.K... so what other suggestions? I'm not about to mount on saddle bags to this slick ride. Bungee a backpack onto the rear seat? Please help, this is bugging me.
Thats why "T-Bags" are in Businesses . Look them up for some ideas of what will work for you .

:coffee:

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
Calling me "dumb" on your first post?

This thing has been serving me well...

SwissGear Backpack - Black : Target

It's about practicality and comfort. I take my laptop and various glasses, headpones, tablet, etc... every day to work and back. It would be perfect for an overnighter.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
*delete*

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,240 Posts
If you're going to wear a backpack, keep in mind, most of them aren't made to withstand high wind resistance....so don't get a 5 buck spiderman backpack and expect it to last..

Other options are, tank bags, saddle bags, tail bag.

Bungee a duffel on your passenger seat, or on your rear fender, smaller bags can be bungeed on your forks (make sure the bags won't get hung up in the wheels).

If you have a passenger, you can even fit a bag between you and her (or him, if that's your sort of thing...I'm not judging).

Other option, have your crap shipped to your destination and ship it back/throw it away when you're done and ready to return...

OR....take less sh*t...

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
I hear ya on the storage thing.. but I have to ask, what are you taking that would require more room then the saddlebags? On overnights I can get all my gear in both bags, and I know I over pack. Not trying to be a smart aleck just want to know.
He said he's "not about to mount saddlebags". He don't have them.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
For years I backpacked or bungied to the passenger seat, backpack for back and forth to work. Bungee a duffle bag to the passenger seat for trips.

Now days I have those quick detach bags and trunk that rarely get detached..

·
Registered
803 Posts
Overnighter?, tooth brush/paste in left pocket, next day underwear in right pocket. Or as motive said, if you know where you are going you can ship your items there/back.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
There are plenty of bags out there equipped to be strapped to a motorcycle. You can also use throw-over saddle bags.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
What's wrong with a 5 buck Spiderman backpack? My Little Pony works well too, yaknow.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
This reminds me of people who buy Subaru's or other small cars and then put a big car top carrier on it to haul all their brickabrack around. Just buy an SUV and get over with.

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,240 Posts
What's wrong with a 5 buck Spiderman backpack? My Little Pony works well too, yaknow.
You must have a windshield to keep those straps from shredding :fitz

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts

·
CRSO
344 Posts

Put a cute girl on the back...have HER wear the backpack.

If they make it for your bike, you might consider adding the docking hardware, then add a removable sissy bar...works for passengers and a place to attach you bag. I know, spendy but functional for several reasons. When you don't need it, detach and store the bar.

I think Kury also makes a fold-down luggage rack that mates with most of the HD sissy bars, for hauling a passenger and having a bag attach point at the same time...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Did I call Baggers the SUV of Harley's?

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
Did I call Baggers the SUV of Harley's?
You did. :mooning: Man I got insulted on this thread twice today.

I do not want to carry a backback, but it is better than driving my F-250 (at 12 mpg) for 75 miles a day. Being on call 24/7, the laptop is a requirement of employment. BTW, I am averaging 20k miles a year on the bikes now.

If I am "carrying" (lockable storage) or need the space, I take the geezer glide. If not, I'm on the Dyna. If I am on the way to work... backpack. Simple as that.

For the overnight Texas Meet & Greet, I am thinking backpack and Dyna but might still take the geezer glide.

Ah, it is so good to have choices.

I felt sorry for the man with one shoe... until I met the man with only one motorcycle.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Doh! You got me there GT. You're exempt cause you have two bikes, see. My dream, way back when, was to keep my 00 Dyna and then get a bagger.
But, Once I went Bag, I never went back...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts