Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the manual and I think I get the procedure. I want to see if the bearings are needing adjustment or not, but I don't have a bike jack. Any home brew ways to do it?

It all starts as my wide glide has a bad tendency to follow every groove in the pavement and feels a little squirrelly above 70mph. The guy at the local dealer said to check that first, even though it only has 5,000 miles. If there is something other than the bearings to check I am all ears.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I have the manual and I think I get the procedure. I want to see if the bearings are needing adjustment or not, but I don't have a bike jack. Any home brew ways to do it?

It all starts as my wide glide has a bad tendency to follow every groove in the pavement and feels a little squirrelly above 70mph. The guy at the local dealer said to check that first, even though it only has 5,000 miles. If there is something other than the bearings to check I am all ears.
You can make a poorboy lift out of 2x6's and a length of pipe.

There is a Thread on here on how to do it . Search is your friend too .

:biker:

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Check spoke tension front and rear wheel. Loose spokes feel somewhat like that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just stared having the same squirrelly around 70 problem with my Wide Glide, also. Mine came when I changed my front tire to a Michelin Commander II, 90/90-21. I've run the stock Schorcher and Perelli Night Dragon, both 80/90-21s, with no problems. All tires are run at the recommended psi. As stated, it can be the tire.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
You can check for grossly loose head bearings by holding the front brake and rocking the bike back and forth, while feeling the neck/stem junction. If there is movement, it's way loose.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Check your swing arm.
It is over looked and over worked .
Next, save the pennys and buy a lift. Harbor freight is very reasonable .

·
Registered
5 Posts
A loose front end at its worst will cause a "clunck" when you hit the front brake hard. On wide glides if you lossen the bottom fork clamps and tighten the bolt on top of the neck to 100ft-lbs it should get rid of any looseness. however it could be the tire even tires with plenty of tred can cause a wobble also check your spokes grab them and try to wiggle them they should be solid. its an easy free inspection

1 - 9 of 9 Posts