Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 sportster 1200 custom Lehman trike converson. Have 10k miles on it. When handle bars turned to left the idle cable cover comes out of the plastic guide that's part of the throttle body. The cable is rubbing against its protective metal cover and drags slowly not allowing the throttle body to click closed without rolling grip manually. I can slide the cable back into position works fine until handlebars turn to left and the cable housing again slides up and rests above the guide it should fit inside of. I changed both cables out and adjusted. No help. If I hold the cables in place by hand and turn to left there's not a problem. It appears something is missing to hold the cables in place?
I looked through every document I found and nothing looks different from what I have in place. I'll try to attach a video.
Thanks in advance for any assistance

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
1st, Was the old cables doing this? If not, compare the lengths of the new set to the old set. (Both inner and outer length of both cables) I had this problem on a 03 Sporty also. My problems were three fold: Going from drag bars to stock bars, the old cables were just a pinch short. 2nd was routing. Once i got the routing figured out, then i discovered that i was not fallowing the manual on the rigging properly. That OEM repair manual is your friend. Once again i keep trying to graduate from the school of hard knocks but, the classes keep getting extended... My buddy had a set of aftermarket cables that that we discovered the shielding was cut too long for the inner cable to fit. Back to the parts guy....again. I found taking that bracket off the carb made it much less difficult to get the outer cables in pace but, the bracket must be in place to get the inner cables on. This method only makes getting the bracket back on tricky at best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1/2 Ton
I did have issue with old cables and reason I changed. I have a aftermarket service manuel. The detail is lacking. However the cables a run through the path intended as evident by the holders and ridges they fit through. What I'm not sure of is if the handle bars have been raised a little or perhaps forward. I'll move them back down a little to see if this help. Appreciate your help

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
1/2 Ton
I did have issue with old cables and reason I changed. I have a aftermarket service manuel. The detail is lacking. However the cables a run through the path intended as evident by the holders and ridges they fit through. What I'm not sure of is if the handle bars have been raised a little or perhaps forward. I'll move them back down a little to see if this help. Appreciate your help

Any motorcycle parts store will help with ordering (some have many in-stock) custom cable lengths. They can be ordered on line as well. In my experience, with the brick n mortar stores, its much easier to get it right. (and returns are minutes vs days or weeks).

I am not a fan of the aftermarket manuals. Their torque values are sometimes waaay off base. Not to mention they lead you down a rabbit hole removing components for no reason at times. I had my fill of them back in the Motocross years. They some-how got even worse with the Harley versions... I had a Clymers manual back when i had a '80 FXE 80...That bike was apart more than ran. (but that's a whole other story) That ended my association with those books. Strictly factory books ever since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any motorcycle parts store will help with ordering (some have many in-stock) custom cable lengths. They can be ordered on line as well. In my experience, with the brick n mortar stores, its much easier to get it right. (and returns are minutes vs days or weeks).

I am not a fan of the aftermarket manuals. Their torque values are sometimes waaay off base. Not to mention they lead you down a rabbit hole removing components for no reason at times. I had my fill of them back in the Motocross years. They some-how got even worse with the Harley versions... I had a Clymers manual back when i had a '80 FXE 80...That bike was apart more than ran. (but that's a whole other story) That ended my association with those books. Strictly factory books ever since.
1/2 I agree with comments regarding that perticular2nd source service manual provider. I'm disappointed and searching for the OEM version. Thanks for about cables I'll start looking

1 - 5 of 5 Posts