Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the idle should be when a 2003 lowrider is fully warmed up? Mine seems like it is about to die when the choke is pushed all the way in. It usually is idling around 1000 rpms at this point. My bike is originally from Colorado and now is in Arkansas, could the change in altitude affect the bikes performance? Thanks in advance for any advice.
dP

·
Registered
39,572 Posts
I was wondering what the idle should be when a 2003 lowrider is fully warmed up? Mine seems like it is about to die when the choke is pushed all the way in. It usually is idling around 1000 rpms at this point.
800 - 1000 is normal

My bike is originally from Colorado and now is in Arkansas, could the change in altitude affect the bikes performance? Thanks in advance for any advice.
dP
Yup, it is probably running a touch lean due to the bike being tuned to the higer elevation of Colorado.

See http://www.johnsmotorcycleparts.com/ez-just_instructions.htm for pics where the idle mixture screw is and how to remove the aluminum plug covering the idle mixture screw if it hasn't already been removed.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
At 1k rpm, you are in the "normal" range. Are you running a stock setup?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So do you have to remove the tank to adjust the fuel/air mixture? I was looking around for it and didn't see it.
thanks dP

·
Registered
39,572 Posts
You will have to remove the carburetor to remove the plug, but you shouldnt have to remove the fuel tank for adjustment.

Attachments

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
To get to the A/F adjuster, I would think that you should only have to remove the air cleaner, right? That's where mine is...

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
However, if the factory tamper proof plug is still in place, you have to remove the carb to drill the cap, and yank it out, to even GET AT the adjusting screw.

Urggmrurph... the user-friendly days are gone, aren't they:(

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys I am going to take your advice and adujst the air/idle screw. I just wanted to know if I am looking in the right place. The pic is of my bike's carb and of the metal plug. Is this the one I am to drill or is it behind the carb?
dP

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Dave I just called my Brother-in-law and he said he took the stock baffles out of the mufflers. Would this cause an overly lean condition? At idle my bike seems to be loping alone, but it doesn't die, it just seems a little slow. thanks dB

·
Registered
39,572 Posts
Depends on if he readjusted the carb afterwards....

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Yes, but thanks to the EPA, tin-foil wrapped food cooks 10 times quicker between your v-twin's cylinders, due to the added heat from the engine that now runs so lean, that the valves are almost at the pint of burning.....:D
Think of all the $ we'll save on road trips... cooking our own hot lunches!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will adjusting the air/fuel alter the idle speed? After I adjust the air/fuel mixture will I need to readjust the idle speed? I have seen some bikes idle at 600rpms and not die?
dP

·
Registered
39,572 Posts
Will adjusting the air/fuel alter the idle speed? After I adjust the air/fuel mixture will I need to readjust the idle speed?
It might alter it somewhat, depending on how far your A/F mixture was off to begin with. When adjusting the A/F mixture, there will be a zone where the bike will idle higher than when turning in the A/F mixture leaner/richer. You want to adjust the idle mixture to the middle of this zone.

I have seen some bikes idle at 600rpms and not die?
dP
They probably had points ignition. I had a points ignition for awhile on my old bike and was able to get it to idle very low. Not good to set it too low for too long, because you are also slowing down the oil pump when you do this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts