Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Sportster with V&H Big Radius 2 into 2 and Screamin Eagle Stage 1 ... what are thoughts about using IED instead of tuning?

·
Just Ride
3,256 Posts
Might try vieds or xieds. They will richen up mixture and help cool motor. But being a sportster, the IED (improvised explosive device) might be better. ;):eek:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I used the xieds and they were fine...but I prefer the tuner I got later on. The thing is I didn't like how rich it made me run all the time. It was good in the heat, not as much as in cool weather.Too me the xieds are more of a bandaid, after using them and the power vision. So if money isn't an issue I would get a tuner if it is I think the ieds would be fine until you can get one.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Asylum Inmate
11,741 Posts
I have Xied Rush slips and K&N. Very happy two years.

·
old scoot coot
3,689 Posts
Might try vieds or xieds. They will richen up mixture and help cool motor. But being a sportster, the IED (improvised explosive device) might be better. ;):eek:
man, im really confused. id like to de cat my 2010rk. what are vieds and xieds? i thought all you had to do to richen it up open it up with int and exh and tuner to manage mixture ( that way i could do it myself and save some bucks.) also mine now idles at maybe 1000rpm or better would the tuner slow down the idle. then it would sound like a harley. it runs ok for me now. i just would like to adress lean mixture, and let the thing breathe and slow down idle so it sounds and is i healthy harley. thanks for listening. tailspin

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
man, im really confused. id like to de cat my 2010rk. what are vieds and xieds? i thought all you had to do to richen it up open it up with int and exh and tuner to manage mixture ( that way i could do it myself and save some bucks.) also mine now idles at maybe 1000rpm or better would the tuner slow down the idle. then it would sound like a harley. it runs ok for me now. i just would like to adress lean mixture, and let the thing breathe and slow down idle so it sounds and is i healthy harley. thanks for listening. tailspin
vied and xied are a type of fuel enrichiner system from Nightrider.com.
Xied's, I think are not adjustable while vied's can be adjusted.

·
old scoot coot
3,689 Posts
vied and xied are a type of fuel enrichiner system from Nightrider.com.
Xied's, I think are not adjustable while vied's can be adjusted.
so they would just plug in like a power commander v auto tuner, but less expensive and not as precise. thanks tailspin

·
old scoot coot
3,689 Posts
I used the xieds and they were fine...but I prefer the tuner I got later on. The thing is I didn't like how rich it made me run all the time. It was good in the heat, not as much as in cool weather.Too me the xieds are more of a bandaid, after using them and the power vision. So if money isn't an issue I would get a tuner if it is I think the ieds would be fine until you can get one.

im going to, i think, do a stage 1 on my 2010 rkc. i can do the cat removal and cange air cleaner but i need to address fuel. the tuners are expensive and i was wondering about alternitaves. i dont know what xieds and vieds are. what are they? is the dealer flashing the ecm a reasonable alternative, does it account for changes in exhaust? is that pretty pricey? im ok with performance now, id just like to let her breathe, improve the sound and enritchen the mixture, maybe cool her down a bit. thanks in advance for helping with info. im just trying to arrange a good approach and understand why it is a good one. tailspin

·
Registered
373 Posts
Xieds are xtreme inline enrichment devise. They are basically something that tricks your cpu into thinking the bike is running too lean and riches the mixtures. I assume vieds is variable inline enrichment devise as these seem to be somewhat tunable. When I talked to my dealership they told me it would be 200+ for the "stage one download" they also told me in Arizona(where I live) the are not allowed to richen your fuel with this download. So basically it would just be raising the rev limit to 6000. I had the xieds on my bike and they stopped some problems I had with popping on decel and and slight sluggishness off the line. They did however trip codes on my bike every time it idled. My spark plugs gunked up I believe due to the fact I was running too rich. The tuner I got was 450 and it has been fun and also saved me about 500 or more when I went to a 1250 kit. Where the xieds are fine the tuning needed with a an engine kit saves cost on dynoing.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,741 Posts
so they would just plug in like a power commander v auto tuner, but less expensive and not as precise. thanks tailspin

They plug into the O2 sensor cable. In line they change the resistance the ecm sees and make it hit the cylinders a little richer.

Vieds allow 3 or 4 different settings of enriched fuel.

Xieds just rich it to one level.

Make sure you get the Xieds or Vieds for your model. And their is a difference in the forward and rear Xied. Don't know it that is true on Vied or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts