Harley Davidson Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Asylum Inmate
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have been hit by a distracted driver on a Cell phone either talking or texting and can prove or the police proved they were on the phone either talking or texting I would be interested in hearing from you.

I need what state, city it happened and the date.

I need what insurance company did and its name

I need what model of car or truck hit you.

If you have it what carrier the cell phone user was using.

I intend to end texting and talking on cell phones in cars by creating a class action lawsuit against cell phone service providers that allow these units to work while they know they are moving.

Thanks for the help if you want to participate.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
What if someone was following your wife in the cage....I bet you would want her phone to work then...I would..That reminds me....Im a little fat and eat at Burger king..Mabe Ill sue them..

·
Asylum Inmate
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
911 can be open

·
Registered
612 Posts
The only problem I have with this idea is.....emergency situations. Say if my daughter is being followed by another car and doesn't want to stop to call for help. I've also taught her to call 911 if she is being pulled over by a cop to confirm it is an actual legit traffic stop,not some looney with a red light.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,509 Posts
There are more than one legitimate reasons for cell phones to be used in a moving vehicle. I think instead of going after cell phone providers the penalties for distracted driving should be as severe as drunk driving. Punish the people who actually commit the offense, not everyone else.

·
Registered
36,972 Posts
Yup, it's like Bloomberg and his coalition of mayors trying to sue S&W, Colt, Ruger etc saying guns commit murder.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
There are more than one legitimate reasons for cell phones to be used in a moving vehicle. I think instead of going after cell phone providers the penalties for distracted driving should be as severe as drunk driving. Punish the people who actually commit the offense, not everyone else.
This.

I've said this enuff times everywhere I go, Including news/talk radio call in shows in my area.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correct, that is what settlement talks are all about. Sorting that stuff out. Could be it turns out to be texting, could turn out to be age groups, could turn out to be a lot of things... but IMO it has to start with showing culpability of the providers that can track a phone and know it is moving and its every location to start to make it a pain in the assss to text.

In class action you through a wide net first, then you start to whittle down to what will work. And of course it may not work at all.

If you have not observed the movement in GPS to not allow changes while moving.... there is a reason those changes were added to the software. They knew they could not defend the case so they settled it with the agreement to modify the software to prevent route adjustments while the vehicle is moving.

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts
What if someone was following your wife in the cage....I bet you would want her phone to work then...I would..That reminds me....Im a little fat and eat at Burger king..Mabe Ill sue them..
I don't generally worry about that. My wife shoots pretty dang good.

[/rant]
What did they do 25 years ago? Are people THAT plugged into their cells that they can't give them up for the short time they are driving? Seriously? Get over yourselves (not YOU specifically...people in general), you are not that important that you need to be calling someone 24/7.

[/off]:soapbox

·
Registered
212 Posts
Correct, that is what settlement talks are all about. Sorting that stuff out. Could be it turns out to be texting, could turn out to be age groups, could turn out to be a lot of things... but IMO it has to start with showing culpability of the providers that can track a phone and know it is moving and its every location to start to make it a pain in the assss to text.

In class action you through a wide net first, then you start to whittle down to what will work. And of course it may not work at all.

If you have not observed the movement in GPS to not allow changes while moving.... there is a reason those changes were added to the software. They knew they could not defend the case so they settled it with the agreement to modify the software to prevent route adjustments while the vehicle is moving.

So what if you are a passenger in a vehicle, you cant use it then either? Say your riding a greyhound bus? While I commend your passion in this matter, I was hit in my cage by a girl eating her lunch and was not paying attention. So lets outlaw drive thru windows also. Im getting really sick of people and class action law suits. These days you dont have to be responsible, just blame someone else for your actions, whether it be guns, phones, hot coffee, cheeseburgers, grow up folks. If someone hits me because they are going 100 mph and lost control is it the cars fault for going 100 mph?

Im done now...

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Texting should absolutely be illegal, period. Personally, I feel there to be ZERO valid reasons for a person to be talking on the phone while driving - it's analogous, in my opinion, to a pilot smoking a crack pipe while flying.

I don't know for a fact, but I am willing to bet that more people die or are injured each year from negligent cell phone use than daughters being murdered by not being able to call someone when some perp is following her. How the F would she know someone's following her when she's busy jibber-jabbering on the phone or texting. For crying out loud, teach the girl to drive a F-ing car responsibly and she'll have a better chance of getting away.

Driving, like riding, flying, piloting a boat, all require strict attention to the path ahead. It's already easy enough to seriously screw up while simply in deep thought without other needless distractions.

There was a time when people didn't HAVE cell phones, and it wasn't all that long ago. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes. But this kind of crap needs to stop.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I don't generally worry about that. My wife shoots pretty dang good.

[/rant]
What did they do 25 years ago? Are people THAT plugged into their cells that they can't give them up for the short time they are driving? Seriously? Get over yourselves (not YOU specifically...people in general), you are not that important that you need to be calling someone 24/7.

[/off]:soapbox
:fitz......:laugh:laugh

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
I agree, nothing scares me more then rolling up on a cage, thats coming from a side street and isn't stopping due to a cell phone. Almost got took out on that one... However, people have been doing stupid for years.. what did they do 25 years ago? 55 m.p.h. heavy traffic, reading a newspaper, steering with his knees...yup seen that more than once. If we can start a class action against stupid... I'm all in. People make bad choices, thats what needs to be illegal... okay I'm better now.
:soapbox

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Thanks Mat.

Also forgot to say that if you teach your daughters NOT to look like cheap prostitutes in the way they act and dress, then the likelihood that some turd's gonna follow her is very significantly diminished.

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
I say Mongo for President! Bravo!!!!

·
Armed&Conscientious
535 Posts
Crap, I just crashed my plane while trying to Google analogous when I should have been relighting my crack pipe. Maybe next time I'll have the sexy hooker next to me light it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.