Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
weird member
2,183 Posts
Just asking because I see a lot of it....why relocate the ignition??
On what, exactly? There's different kinds of aftermarket ignitions, different ingitions through the years, models, etc. Also, what specifically about the ignition? The ignition is a whole system. On my 97 softail, the stock ignition system runs from the timing cup in the cone, across the bottom of the right side frame to the ignition module under the seat, over to the ignition coil on the left. There's others that the coil is located where my horn is, some the coil is just in front of the front cylinder. Depends on wherever you got room to stick it. And even then, for some the ignition key switch (if that's what you're talking about) is different on different bikes. Some, like Sportsters or some aftermaket tanks, don't have a dash, so it's on the frame somewhere. My sister's 2003 883, if I remember right, is on the right side toward the front somewhere. Mine is on my tank dash and uses a barrel key, hers uses a normal (?) type key.

Are you asking about relocating the ignition (what part though, the core of all systems is in the timing cone on the right side of the engine case)? Or do you mean the starter switch? The coil? Key switch?

Even then, some do it for aesthetic reasons I guess? Some it's for a modified or different coil that won't go where the stock one did.

·
Wayward Son
23,223 Posts
....why relocate the ignition??
:think

Why not??

Why relocate the coil??
Why change the pipes??
Why customize and personalize at all??

Because be are all different and because we can.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just asking because I see a lot of it....why relocate the ignition??
I know on the iron, one reason to relocate the coil was to help with airflow across the heads. I relocated my coil to the bottom of the jugs, above the primary, and the ignition switch to behind the rear just under the seat. Looked good to me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts