Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took out the ignition switch to remove the pin from the bars on my 2015 RGS. Putting everything back together I guess the tumblers for the ignition switch were misaligned. Now I am unable to get the switch back out to align the tumblers. The switch just spins. The wheel is locked left, I turn the key and press up on the pin but still can not get it out. All help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Retired citizen
23,364 Posts
Put the key in and turn it all the way to accy then push the pin up. If that doesn't work turn the key to lock then go past until the key stops then push up on the pin.
When the lock is off look down into the switch to check alignment on the two latches, they should match perfectly, can be aligned with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put the key in and turn it all the way to accy then push the pin up. If that doesn't work turn the key to lock then go past until the key stops then push up on the pin.
When the lock is off look down into the switch to check alignment on the two latches, they should match perfectly, can be aligned with a screwdriver.
Thanks SCHMIDTYS I will give that a try when I get home. This is frustrating as hell.

·
Retired citizen
23,364 Posts
One more thing, when installing the lock push it down against the spring all the way then let it come up slightly before trying to turn the thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
finally got it out. Ended up taking the whole ignition module out so that I had room to mess with it. fiddled with it for about 10 minutes and then it just popped out. Aligned up the tumblers with two screwdrivers and put it back together. Works like a charm. Thanks for the help schmidtys.

·
Registered
176 Posts
There are a couple of YouTube videos on fabbing a tool to align the ignition switch. Materials are things like copper tubing or bolts. Worth checking out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts