Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Eastbound and Down
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the process of going through my front brakes. Had to replace the spring clip anyways. It's a 1988 softail springer. I didn't bleed the brakes first. I was using the service manual and I overlooked it. What I did was disconnect the caliper from the bike. I then disconnected the line going into the caliper and let the fluid run out. I put everything back together and removed the master cylinder from the handlebars and took the top off.

I started the process of bleeding the brakes (master cylinder cover off) to get the new fluid in. The new fluid is running through the lines and getting to to calipers. I did the process until no bubbles. Put everything back together and now the front brakes are completely unresponsive. Here is how I bled them:

1. Installed plastic tubing on bleeder valve.

2. Squeezed handle and released.

3. Opened up bleeder valve.

4. Squeeze handle , hold for a moment and release.

5. Close bleeder valve.

6. Repeated 2-5

Am I not doing it correctly? Should I be getting a steady flow of fluid from the tube? Kinda need those front brakes. Hopefully you can tell me where I'm going wrong.

·
Office Linebacker
1,218 Posts
I think you may have your Bleed process wrong.

I believe it should be:

1) Open Valve
2) Squeeze Break (Hold)
3) Close Valve
4) Release

Need to hold the pressure on the handle to keep the pressure until you close.
You also need to make sure the MC is full as it works its way down the line.

Any experts want to confirm?

·
Just Ride
3,052 Posts
Squeeze first,open bleeder,let air out,hold,close bleeder.repeat till you get only brake fluid comin out. Squeeze,open,hold,close,repeat.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Eastbound and Down
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,387 Posts
modified Deedays...

1) Open Bleeder Valve
2) Squeeze Brake Lever/Push Brake Pedal and Hold
3) Close Bleeder Valve
4) Fill Master Cylinder
5) Release Brake Lever/Pedal
6) Repeat

Need to hold the pressure on the handle to keep the pressure until you close.

I always use that method.

If you follow fritz method, you release the valve under pressure and could squirt fluid all over the place.

·
Eastbound and Down
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FritzHD your way worked. Problem solved. I thought something was wrong when I had almost gone through an entire bottle of brake fluid. Once again you guys are awesome. Let it be known that I do not take your guys' help for granted. Once I learn more I will take what I've learned to help other out as you all have helped me.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
FritzHD your way worked. Problem solved. I thought something was wrong when I had almost gone through an entire bottle of brake fluid. Once again you guys are awesome. Let it be known that I do not take your guys' help for granted. Once I learn more I will take what I've learned to help other out as you all have helped me.
And that right there is what keeps the tradition alive! Good call!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts