Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out for a ride the other night and got smacked big time. I was slowing down, about 10 yards from a red light, and going maybe 10mph. Suddenly I get smacked in the rear end and get slapped to the pavement so quick I barely had time to think WTF. Turns out the driver that hit me was “distracted with her phone”. Never heard a horn, any brakes squeal, nothin’. PD estimated she was going 30-35mph when she hit me. The pic doesn’t show the rear tire crushed in. My helmet was crushed on the left side too. After getting a hold of my wife to come down to the scene and seeing her reaction to me being all trussed up in the back of the ambulance… well, I just won’t put her through anything like that ever again. I ended up with a few stitches in my leg, a broken rib, and some nasty bruises… I asked the doc to leave the horseshoe up my rear end. Not trying to start another helmet debate, But I know that if I wasn’t wearing mine, I wouldn’t be here to write this. For the 45+ years I’ve been riding, I’ve always had my head on a swivel, guess I forgot to add the eyes in the back of my head. So between my promise to my wife and the glut of distracted cagers, I’m, done.
Thanks to many of you for your help, advice and encouragement as I revived an ’01 Wide Glide. May she rest in peace. Or should I say piece(s) as parts of her get farmed out after being totaled by insurance.

Attachments

·
Señor Member
19,590 Posts
Dave, that sucks. It sucks that you had to go through that. What a blessing that you're going to be ok. JP nailed it...calling your own shot is the proof that you are alive and free. God bless you, sir.

And, you don't need to ride to stick around this forum. Your decades in the saddle make you welcome here forever, IMO.

·
Go SEAHAWKS!!
807 Posts
Wow man. Really glad to hear you are alive and going to recover! Like Chief said, hope you stick around.

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts
I read your story with my mouth on the floor...I really can't say what I was thinking though.

You may be sore for a few days, but that is MUCH better than the alternative. You made the trip home in an ambulance, not a hearse. As has been said already, it's sad to see you go, but you have to make the best decision for you and your family and I respect that.

Good luck to you!

BTW: Stay here and let us know your progress and what happens to the blind beach that hit you.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Sorry to hear what happened and glad it was not worse for you, I hope they throw her under the jail for what she did, you hear too much of this stupid stuff happening today. I respect your decision to hang it up, I would feel the same way if that happened to me.
Hope your recovery goes well, you may want to get back on a Bike again one day.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
Glad it wasn't worse, glad you were wearing a helmet. You know tho, you're still a cycle nut even without a bike or without riding. IMO, you're always welcome here.

Heal up and get whole again.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,151 Posts
We totally under stand glad to hear you Okay besides the stiches and the broken rib ,your rgiht and your wife is right some times you just have to walk away a higher source is telling ya something and you have to listen . take care and be care full out there all the best

·
Super Moderator
12,529 Posts
Scary story and picture. Been there, done that my friend. We all have our choices to make. I already "died" once, in a hospital, if I get sick, I would still go to a hospital. I hear about deaths in car crashes around here nearly everyday.

Don't live your life out of fear.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,010 Posts
I fully understand your decision and am glad to see you were around to make it. Hope you do stick around the forum.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts