Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come to realize that every biker I wave at as I pass is younger than me.

And to add insult to injury (literally) I'm sore for 2 days after I ride and the distance for that to occur has gone from 150 miles at one leg to 50.

BUT I'M STILL RIDIN ! ! HOO RAH !

PS and my left arm is sore from waving at all the Harley riders. Much more now than in 1968

·
American
26,535 Posts

And to add insult to injury (literally) I'm sore for 2 days after I ride and the distance for that to occur has gone from 150 miles at one leg to 50.

PS and my left arm is sore from waving at all the Harley riders. Much more now than in 1968
Slacker...... :devil

·
weird member
2,228 Posts
Speaking of, I noticed where I live, there's a lot more people my age (32) and younger riding now. I follow my local dealer on Facebook and they've had a significant uptick in sales to the younger crowd. And it's mostly stuff like Breakouts, Fatboys and Low Riders and stuff (as well as some baggers), not a whole lot of the FXDR, which I assumed was supposed to be geared to the younger crowd maybe?

I know a lot said millennials have had a slower start than previous generations, but it looks like it's up, at least locally. My local dealer also can't seem to keep the Low Rider S in stock very long.

Even a lot of the sales aren't older stuff, but the new 2020's.

I wonder if it's like that in general or just seems to be a local anomaly.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
About 2hrs. maybe 3hrs, sometimes longer, quick pee stops, smaller secondary roads 35-55mph. some days just and hr. I take what I can get. 74. And I run errands with it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
About 2hrs. maybe 3hrs, sometimes longer, quick pee stops, smaller secondary roads 35-55mph. some days just and hr. I take what I can get. 74. And I run errands with it.
scol, what you wrote sounds like me. Especially the "take what I can get" part. (Also 74)

I never really noticed the advancing years thing until a couple of years ago when me, my two younger brothers, and son rode the Tail of the Dragon. When we stopped at the resort I noticed that I was, by far, the oldest guy there. There aren't so many of us 70+ folks at Deal's Gap.

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
Guess I'm doing better than I thought I would be doing at age 72. My last all day ride was to Eureka Springs 3 years ago, and that was the 4th year in a row for the ES trip. The all day ride didn't bother me much--no soreness afterwards and, really, ES is 600 miles for me but I could have easily gone a couple of more hours in the saddle. Hope I can keep this up!

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I turned 70 last August. My beautiful bride and I still go for long rides in the countryside. Best part of us being retired.

We plan on seeing a good part of this great country in our 5th wheel toy hauler. Starting right now.

Just keep riding.
You should pack up your Toy hauler and git your :tush out here for the winter since your retired :devil

Best winter riding in the country at this time of the year.

We're close to 2 Beautiful resorts ( campgrounds) that you could get into for 3 or 4 months.
We stayed in both before I retired an moved out here for good.

Think about it :devil.............. Rick

·
Registered
11,621 Posts

Be 70 in March. Ibuprofen is your friend. One night before then after the days riding is done or at bed time. Ride Safe

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Speaking of, I noticed where I live, there's a lot more people my age (32) and younger riding now. I follow my local dealer on Facebook and they've had a significant uptick in sales to the younger crowd. And it's mostly stuff like Breakouts, Fatboys and Low Riders and stuff (as well as some baggers), not a whole lot of the FXDR, which I assumed was supposed to be geared to the younger crowd maybe?

I know a lot said millennials have had a slower start than previous generations, but it looks like it's up, at least locally. My local dealer also can't seem to keep the Low Rider S in stock very long.

Even a lot of the sales aren't older stuff, but the new 2020's.

I wonder if it's like that in general or just seems to be a local anomaly.
No its not a local anomaly. Younger riders on Sportsters behaving like hooligans in good way wearing skinny jeans :eek-surprise. Touring rigs are getting popular new and used. Many are USAF young Airmen from our local base Vandenberg. Recently retired military late thirty's early forty's. Plus guys working locally with a family. Been a great mix during bike nights.

·
weird member
2,228 Posts
No its not a local anomaly. Younger riders on Sportsters behaving like hooligans in good way wearing skinny jeans :eek-surprise. Touring rigs are getting popular new and used. Many are USAF young Airmen from our local base Vandenberg. Recently retired military late thirty's early forty's. Plus guys working locally with a family. Been a great mix during bike nights.
Yeah, I see quite a few buying Sportsters as well.

On my ride yesterday, I saw one that was scrawny, didn't look a day over 12 years old on either a 2019 or 2020 Softail Slim I think.

I know I have seen a lot more of the younger crowd out riding than what's reflected by the sales at my local dealer, some are on used bikes obviously tthat they bought somewhere else, and some are on Honda cruisers and stuff.

I never been to a "Bike Night" at a dealer, so I couldn't really say. But I do see them on the roads. Saw one as well when I was in the service dept last week for the dynamic timing, wanting to bring his in because the license plate holder or something broke, and it was one of those side plate type things, and he was a million questions and fears about a license plate frame, and I think I overheard him saying something about being new to all this stuff despite having wanted one for a while.

So my generation and the generation after mine are definitely interested in motorcycling more than what the doom and gloom articles out there the past several years have suggested.

Out of curiosity, I did Google search new for Harley sales and everything from the past week was talking about Q3 sales still being in a slup or something, but that they did beat projections or something. Lot of the articles talked about a boost starting to pick up in Asian markets.

Guess we'll see what they say at the end of Q4.

But yeah, this time of year, the sales have soared here and I don't fully understand it. I would think sales would peak in spring time, at the beginning of the "riding season", not at the end of it. But, I dunno, I never actually followed how their sales usually go.

I also am never really sure how reflective my local dealer is for everything else because about an hour from here is Panama City Beach, which has their "Thunder Beach" rally twice a year, and then there's also the Daytona Beach "Bike Week" and "Biketoberfest" rallies. And sure, these aren't huge like Laconia or Sturgis, but they are a decent size and anyone who goes to any of those 4 always ends up coming through here if they're anywhere west of Georgia and the Carolinas. And on top of that, outside of the city I live in, it's all boonies out here for hundreds of miles in all directions, so it's not really comparable to other areas.

·
old scoot coot
3,435 Posts
multigenerational motorcycle thuggary! i love it.:smile

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
" Multigenerational Motorcycle Thuggary! " That's new phrase for the week Tommy !!!

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Thanks guys. This is just what I needed, ya'll make me feel like a young sprig again.
Don't get too spriggy (that a word? ) Ride Safe Jack :wink

Reactions: JPR and Jack Ryan
1 - 20 of 41 Posts