Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm a new HD owner, but not a new rider. I recently bought a 2014 Heritage Softail, and I have a problem with the underside of my right thigh getting VERY hot while I am riding. This past weekend, I actually had blisters on the back of my thigh! This can't be normal! Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

·
The Extreme Member
1,477 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and you need these on your bike

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks like it may help. What is that going to cost? I don't get why it gets so hot there in the first place.

·
The Extreme Member
1,477 Posts
You can get some sheepskin to sit on also that helps too. Cost probably around 50 bucks or so on ebay or amazon, at the stealership you will pay out the ass for them.

Search for Harley Davidson Heat deflectors for engine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I will look for some online. Difficult to install? I'm a nurse. I'm a lot better at fixing people than bikes. lol

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
And while we don't mind helping you, please go to the introduction thread and let us know a little about you.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,332 Posts
I have a Heritage also. These big twins put out a lot of heat. I don't have a thigh heat deflector, but I find that I can cool off my leg by temporarily rolling the hip outward by griping the bike less tightly. I'm basically pivoting the knee out a few inches. That channels the wind up and to the medial (inside) of the thigh.

The heat is worse at a long stoplight in 90 degree weather. The thigh cools off in just a few seconds.

I don't kneed to do it with my left leg.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Is the excessive heat caused by them running so lean from the factory, maybe fattening them up a little might help.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Is the excessive heat caused by them running so lean from the factory, maybe fattening them up a little might help.
Plus you have the oil tanq right next to your leg... even with the heat deflectors there is not much that you can do with that oil tank in there.

My wife simply started using better riding gear to deal with the heat...

·
luv the low country
19,252 Posts
Welcome from Conway, SC.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Crotch coolers will help with the symptoms, but if you want the cure, get at least a full Stage 1 upgrade with a good tuner.
After adding a full exhaust and a free-flow air cleaner, I finally would up (through some trial and error*) with a new Vance & Hines FuelPak3.
My engine temps decreased significantly...

*previous methods were:
- the H-D SEPST and a dealer download which was total crap - in fact it increased my engine temps
- and then a set of NightRider ViED's, which helped a great deal but I didn't want the full time piggyback install.

Normal OIL temps as observed using the H-D temperature gauge dipstick were as follows:
- At stock the bike ran with oil temps around 225°, climbing to 250° in traffic.
- After the dealer remap, the oil temps rose to around 250°, climbing as high as 275° in traffic.
- After the V&H FP3, oil temps now hover around 200°, and never exceed 225°.

Also, my main concern with crotch coolers is that if your bike is already running too hot, why would you want to trap that heat and cut off the air flow at the rear cylinder?
Excess heat is one of the leading causes of engine failure...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts