Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest to be a better rider, I've been checking out different avenues to get better at riding. DVDs, YouTube, paying for advanced rider courses etc are/were all viable enough options but one thing I realized you don't hear much about although I'm sure it happens are motor police accidents or fatalities.

Where am I going with this? Motor police style training. I mean, these guys may not be on their bikes for 14-15 hours at a time like on a road trip but nearly every day for hours at a time and you have a recipe for a disaster. I think the idea of being constantly vigilant while maintaining great control of your bike at any speeds is a fantastic one. They practice and hit home things like knowing the lean angle of your bike before you're forced to learn it (high speed corner or even slow speed corner) and executing precise clutch control and even more importantly, pointing your head and eyes in the right direction.

I'm not saying it's for everybody and it seems to be pretty difficult to find quality instruction or even a place to go practice frequently but I say if you can...you should consider it!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Totally agree some of those guys are incredible, they have competitions and watching some of the crap they can do on those bikes is unbelievable.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I give credit to the MC police riders and folks like the California Highway Patrol. There's no argument that they have got some phenomenally good riders in their ranks - no question about it. And they are very skilled on their bikes.

I dunno if that training is for everyone. It's highly directed towards a particular outlook on a bike ... to be a "professional motorman". That is what they strive for. Some guys might be in tune with it - a lot of others will not.

Your best bet for improving skills is two things IMO ...

1. Keep taking those advanced riding courses, and do them from different people

2. If you possibly can, try to pick your own local riding group with a few riders who just have a d*mn good grasp of riding habits and traffic patterns. It makes a huge difference.

The trouble is ... most folks wanna kick back and have a good time on their bikes. Not too many people are aiming to be constantly improving their riding skills. But if you want to ride safely, and especially in our big cities, then you gotta make the commitment. It just is ... what it is.

ride free,
dT

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
dT gives good advice. We like to have a good time, but riding with these yahoos has definitely made me better. I watch them and copy what they do right and make note of what not to do when someone rides off the road or discharges their firearm in town while riding no handed, etc.

Actually, that was pretty cool.

In all seriousness, have you seen these?

https://www.ridelikeapro.com

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I have the Ride Like a Pro video, and I make myself practice basic maneuvers at least monthly in a parking lot.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Pretty much taught myself to ride. Then took a class to get the common mistakes out. But after riding in DC area traffic, the most important thing you can do no matter where you ride is to keep your head on a swivel. Cliche i know. But no better truth. No matter how many videos you watch, classes you take, it is the one thing that matters most and will make all the difference. Add to that keeping an eye on traffic at least a quarter mile ahead and behind snd you are in good shape. Personally however, i try to always ride with the attitude that i WILL go down. Never if, but when.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with everybody here. Ride like a pro I have seen. "Motorman" has sound techniques and advice. I think that is one thing I love about riding, improving my skills. It's just so neat what they do.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,676 Posts
Get a dirt bike and go play in the dirt for a while if you fall down Who cares. You get a better reaction time and coordination with what to do with a bike . Most great riders have started and spent a lot of time on dirt bikes . Bottom line just get out and ride find a empty parking lot and set up some cones or empty pop cans and practice .

Good Luck

·
Registered
946 Posts
Sometimes after riding for a few years you seem to get a 6th sense. How many times have you looked at a vehicle and thought that the driver was going to change lanes without signalling and shortly after that they do. Or you see a vehicle waiting to pull out in traffic and you think. This moron is going to pull out without seeing me then they do but you took evasive action.

Ride safe

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
Down here in South Carolina, Old Coot loaned me his Ride Like a Pro video, something every rider who wants to improve their riding skills should own. I am looking to order one for myself. He and I have practice some of the techniques together and some I have done on my own. IMO its a lot more motivating and challenging to team up with a buddy going through a series of skill tests. Even better when your buddy has more advanced skills than you have, like Old Coot, the man can handle his scoot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts