Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received this recall letter in the mail today. They are notifying me since their records indicate that I own one of these affected motorcycles (which I do).

Harley Davidson Recall # 0159
NHTSA Recall # 14V-537

Affects certain 2014 Touring (FLHTCU, FLHTK, FLHTP, FLHX, FLHXS) and CVO Touring (FLHTKSE, FLHRSE).

What is the Issue?

"On some of these motorcycles, the hydraulic clutch system may develop a tear in the primary cup (seal) on the master cylinder piston. If this occurs, the system may lose the ability to maintain sufficient lift to keep the clutch disengaged."

And the letter goes on to explain some additional information about the repercussions of this defect and what to do.

My guess; If you have one of these bikes, you should be getting this letter unless you're a second owner and Harley may not be aware of your ownership.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Got the letter today, but had the rebuild kit done at the dealer about 2 months ago. Hoping that covers it for this problem. Yes, I saw the comment regarding if the master cyl was replaced, still need the rebuild kit, but I'm thinking since I just had the rebuild kit installed its good.

Actually had the opposite issue with the clutch from what the recall describes. My complaint was the friction zone being weak- felt like a 50,000 mi clutch, after only 5,000 miles. And all of a sudden, too. Recall warns about not being able to fully disengage. Different problem, same cause.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My dealer called me on Monday and said bring it in Tuesday at 3:30 and they would do it while I waited. By 5 I was on my way home.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Recall

I had already taken mine in before the letter came ,saw the info on a forum I frequent,oh this one. My buddy has a 2015 road glide and his had same prob. Dealer found during 1000mi service.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Got my letter on Friday and had appointment with dealer for Saturday morning 9:00AM had service and recall completed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
took mine into dealership this am - they have the new brake kit in stock will have it ready tomarro. I had it in 2 weeks ago for 5000 mile service no mention/no fix

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As the OP, I called a Harley dealer the day after I posted this thread and asked if I can bring the bike in that day (Saturday) for the recall. The service guy told me it was impossible; they were way too busy. Try next week he told me. I wasn't happy about that since this recall can be a dangerous situation if you continue to ride.

Fortunately, I have another dealer in the opposite direction and about the same distance away and called them to attempt to get the bike in. I asked the service guy if its dangerous to ride the bike. The service guy said it would be best not to ride the bike and to get the bike to them via tow or trailer. I asked him if I can bring the bike in today for the recall. He told me to bring it in ASAP. It will take about a hour or so. And so I did and had the recall performed in about 50 minutes.

·
Registered
614 Posts
As the OP, I called a Harley dealer the day after I posted this thread and asked if I can bring the bike in that day (Saturday) for the recall. The service guy told me it was impossible; they were way too busy. Try next week he told me. I wasn't happy about that since this recall can be a dangerous situation if you continue to ride.

Fortunately, I have another dealer in the opposite direction and about the same distance away and called them to attempt to get the bike in. I asked the service guy if its dangerous to ride the bike. The service guy said it would be best not to ride the bike and to get the bike to them via tow or trailer. I asked him if I can bring the bike in today for the recall. He told me to bring it in ASAP. It will take about a hour or so. And so I did and had the recall performed in about 50 minutes.
Which dealer did you go to and which one turned you away. I'm also from the Island

·
Registered
614 Posts
I had the opportunity to meet streetglide14 today. It was a pleasure to chat with you today. Very nice bike by the way. I hope you don't hold it against me that I was riding my "non Harley" today, lol. Next time you'll get to meet my Ultra.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts