·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doc Harley discussing the new larger capacity oil filter for M8 engines:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Saw this yesterday and if Harley put a nut on the end of their filters like K&N, it'd be an easy swap out on the TC's. Still doable without it, but easier with a nut. But then Harley wouldn't be able to sell their cool Oil Filter Wrench, right?

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Retired citizen
23,355 Posts
Not exactly. Oil filters tend to get tighter over time and heat cycling, also from being over tightened to begin with. Those nuts on the filter end can twist right off so then ya have a smooth filter to try to get loose with a strap wrench or whatever other means.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
That absolutely can happen for sure if the filter isn't installed correctly. In fact, the one K&N I had that happen to was one that came already installed on a used RK I had bought and apparently the PO must have gorilla'd it on! Anyhow, after moving the voltage regulator out of the way, I filter wrenched it off eventually and all was good. Although I have never had that issue with any of the K&N's I've installed over the years, (nor leaks), I probably just jinxed myself and will twist the nut off the one I just installed yesterday on the SG in a few months when it's due for it's next oil change, lol!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi ts12i30,
Thank you for posting the Doc Harley segment regarding the new M8 oil filter. I love that guy... I expect the new oil filter will show up during my next scheduled service (10K miles) at my dealer. :)
Sincerely,
Leg_one

·
Registered
39,457 Posts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts