Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1997 FLSTC Soft Tail Heritage Deluxe
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 FLSTC with a stock exhaust system. My intention is to replace the stock system with something like a Vance and Hines Long Shots (or similar).

That is all well and good; however, just changing the exhaust system wont necessarily improve anything performance wise. So, the question is this - what else do I need to do to get the be best out of the exhaust system OR what would you guys suggest to get a bit more umph out of a 25 year old bike with only 20,000 miles on her?

I am thinking about an Andrews 27 Cam, although am also considering an Andrews 13 Cam ..... no idea what the difference is other than price :rolleyes:

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,828 Posts
Do the Andrews 27 if you're swapping a cam and just want stage 2 and don't want to do a bunch of work.

Arlen Ness big sucker is fine, could also maybe still get the Screamin Eagle air cleaner. Air, pipes, cam, done.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do the Andrews 27 if you're swapping a cam and just want stage 2 and don't want to do a bunch of work.

Arlen Ness big sucker is fine, could also maybe still get the Screamin Eagle air cleaner. Air, pipes, cam, done.
Andrews 27 was recommended to me a while ago as a way to give the old girl a bit of a boost so that is what I will most likely go with then have everything else fitted around it tp suit.

Bottom line is I just want a bit more get up and go from the lights and so it cruises a bit easier on itself (lower revs) at 55 - 65 so I can lay back, relax and take in the views.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Bottom line is I just want a bit more get up and go from the lights and so it cruises a bit easier on itself (lower revs) at 55 - 65 so I can lay back, relax and take in the views.
Nothing you have mentioned will lower the revs at 55-65 mph.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Moving on a little - it seems as though there are two trains of thought on Cams - the EV27 and the EV 13. Frankly I am a mechanical moron so have no idea what the difference between the two is, if there is any.

What I want, would like, is something that gives me a bit more boost from a standing start (from the lights) up to say 65 - 70 MPH with the idea of travelling at around 60 - 65 MPH on the highways if I find myself there.

Some say the 13 is best suited to that while others say the 27 would be better???????

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,828 Posts
So what would you suggest?
The only way to lower RPMs at a given speed is to change the gearing (generally meaning a new transmission). Final drive changes can affect RPM vs road speed and acceleration as well, but only to a degree.

All of it's all somewhat more involved, but there's nothing you can do to the engine to change road speed vs RPMs.

Even if you opted for a cheap 6-speed overdrive transmission, that's not going to help because 6th gear doesn't come into play until 75 mph at minimum and gears 1-5 are going to be same ratio as stock.

No matter what power the engine does or doesn't have, the RPM will be the same for a given speed unless you change the gearing, that's the only way. Different size rear wheel could change it too, technically.

RPM shouldn't be that high at 55 mph in 5th gear anyway, should still be under 3K RPM with stock gear train, might hit 3K at 65 mph, maybe.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kyle,

Thanks for that so in essence, I keep the revs (as per the tranny etc) and just up the get up and go from the lights then. I'd much rather have the get up and go than lower RPM's at a given speed.

That being said, and considering I AM changing out my stock cam for an Andrews - which is the better for what I am looking for, the EV13 or EV27 OR perhaps another cam altogether?

What ever cam I put in will determine what other changes I make in terms of compatibility.

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,333 Posts
Kyle,

Thanks for that so in essence, I keep the revs (as per the tranny etc) and just up the get up and go from the lights then. I'd much rather have the get up and go than lower RPM's at a given speed.

That being said, and considering I AM changing out my stock cam for an Andrews - which is the better for what I am looking for, the EV13 or EV27 OR perhaps another cam altogether?

What ever cam I put in will determine what other changes I make in terms of compatibility.
Whatever cams you choose shouldn't change your choice of stage 1 stuff, really-unless you are planning to get into head porting, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts