Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:biker::biker:When I got my bike I saw it definitely needed a rear tire. I thought for a while on how I could get it off without totally dismantling the rear fender so I came up with this. I positioned the bike half on patio blocks and half off on the grass. I used a big block of wood. (Cinder block would do) I used a 2 X 4 to go on top of that as so the kickstand bracket would not interfere with the frame cross member. with the bike on a bit of an angle I lifted the rear up by the fender and swung it over adjusting the 2X4 getting it to rest on top with the rear wheel off the ground. (This will work with the front tire as well) After making sure the bike was steady and would not roll over I undid the rear axle bolt I grabbed a shovel and dug a little ditch about 1 foot deep. I then removed the axle and spacers belt and caliper. the tire dropped and was then easily removed where I took it to have the races heated up and pulled then installed new races bearings and seals as the old ones where disintegrated. I had the new tire put on and speed balanced came home and reversed the process. Job finished. You may want to support the sides with pieces of 2X4s to insure the bike is not disturbed until you return:coffee:coffee:biker: The frame had some minor corrosion so I grabbed my disc grinder and sanded it to bare shiny metal primed and painted it with Automotive spay paint

Attachments

·
Banned
71 Posts
:biker::biker:When I got my bike I saw it definitely needed a rear tire. I thought for a while on how I could get it off without totally dismantling the rear fender so I came up with this. I positioned the bike half on patio blocks and half off on the grass. I used a big block of wood. (Cinder block would do) I used a 2 X 4 to go on top of that as so the kickstand bracket would not interfere with the frame cross member. with the bike on a bit of an angle I lifted the rear up by the fender and swung it over adjusting the 2X4 getting it to rest on top with the rear wheel off the ground. (This will work with the front tire as well) After making sure the bike was steady and would not roll over I undid the rear axle bolt I grabbed a shovel and dug a little ditch about 1 foot deep. I then removed the axle and spacers belt and caliper. the tire dropped and was then easily removed where I took it to have the races heated up and pulled then installed new races bearings and seals as the old ones where disintegrated. I had the new tire put on and speed balanced came home and reversed the process. Job finished. You may want to support the sides with pieces of 2X4s to insure the bike is not disturbed until you return:coffee:coffee:biker: The frame had some minor corrosion so I grabbed my disc grinder and sanded it to bare shiny metal primed and painted it with Automotive spay paint
As we say : Oilfield Engineering works every time. :thumb

·
Poser Member # 99
17,671 Posts
That's one way to do it I've used a chain fall in the old mans Garage . A cherry picker those work well to get it off the ground . the brick and 2x4 it was what I used on the dirt bikes :thumbsup.

I like the jacks now I have a Craftsmen and Have used a Harbor freight too .

What ever it takes to ...........Get- r -dun

Welcome to the Forum

1 - 3 of 3 Posts