Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago, I saw a site that showed a guy who converted Class C motorhomes to carry 1 or 2 motorcycles and still had some living conveniences.

These were not huge RVs, but rather smallish. I'm thinking 32' or so.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? And, does anyone know if any Class C manufacture offers the inside storage of a motorcycle in a drive away coach?

Thanx.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
My wife and I have ambitions of RVing one of these days as long as gas prices don't make it cost prohibitive.

I am all but certain I would do something like this:

I just don't want to pull a trailer, neither of us have any interest in a fifth wheel/ toy hauler style. I definitely want a motor coach.

I would think you could get a fiberglasser to build some kind of shroud that could go over the bike, but with it riding on the back like that, I can't imagine that it would take too much of a beating anyway.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
That's a slick set-up. BUT, for the same money,..I'm thinkin a small,closed trailer for us though.

Extra storage and the bike is clean,dry and locked up. Toy haulers are nice too, but As long as you don't mind the smell through out your trailer. The larger ones have a seperation wall to keep the smell out of the living area.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
That's a slick set-up. BUT, for the same money,..I'm thinkin a small,closed trailer for us though.

Extra storage and the bike is clean,dry and locked up. Toy haulers are nice too, but As long as you don't mind the smell throuhout your trailer. The larger ones have a seperation wall to keep the smell out of the living area.
There are definitely benefits to an enclosed trailer. The weather, locking it up, and certainly the ability to more easily use it with other vehicles. I just don't want to have a trailer in tow, so that makes the lift more attractive to me.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
There are definitely benefits to an enclosed trailer. The weather, locking it up, and certainly the ability to more easily use it with other vehicles. I just don't want to have a trailer in tow, so that makes the lift more attractive to me.
I hear ya. We've weighed it out and the trailer won for us. The other reason was the extra storage. lawn chairs,grill,coolers etc.. Just nice NOT to have that stuff in the unit.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate all the replies and links.

I remember this guy that converted Class C motor homes into Toy Haulers. Can't find the link when I do a search on Google.

I don't want to hang the Harley off the back of a Class C, don't want a trailer (can't back up), don't want to spend quarter million bucks, and such.

I'd like an older "C" that can be converted to a drop back ramp load Harley hauler. Wish I could do that sort of thing myowndamself, but I'm about a mechanical as a bowling ball.

Wish I could find the link to the dude who did these conversions.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have had campers for some time now and have looked into some toy haulers, the cheapest toy hauler I found that would work for me as a toy hauler and a camper was about $30,000.

Now thats with all the combined features I what ?

I never wanted a motor home, I looked at it as a another motor and transmission and brakes and really just another vehicle to take care of, when I have and will have a truck. I understand not wanting to tow something also!

So when the time comes I'll have a choice to make.

I would like to take my bikes when I go camping, and have a place to park it out of the weather when its gets bad !!

I have thought about buying a enclosed trailer and making it into a toy hauler also! My boss just bought one for work and it got me thinking about that? Could sell camper and with the money convert it into a pretty cool toy hauler....sure it wouldn't be as nice as my camper ....Damn ....what to do???

·
Registered
2 Posts
I saw the same RV

I found the same C Class the carries 1 or 2 motorcycles in the rear. It had a lift in the rear. You could access the area from the inside. It had full amenities inside. I have been looking for about a year now for the company that makes it. My computer had a meltdown and I lost all info on my HD. But, there is a company that, if not presently, did make such a RV. I want to find either a new or used one. I'll keep looking for it. I'll keep you posted on this.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bigga55 .... yes, this is what I'm speaking about. I remember seeing a C class that the back end was modified, I think with a ramp ... allowing a motorcycle or 4 wheeler to be house inside.

Also, the floor was recovered to keep it clean. Like tile, or something. There were cabinets on the sides and room for a bed up front along iwth other amenities if one liked. Just money, eh.

You are right. I can't find this company that refurbished the C class to accept this. I don't remember a 'lift' at the rear, tho it was a couple years ago that I saw this.

Searched the net, but can't find it.

Thanx for the help, tho.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think about a Class A motorhome as a residence to pull my new Electraglide Classic to great riding destinations. I have looked at the Thor Outlaw for a toyhauler, and various others for pulling a trailer...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts