Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine is purchasing a 2006 street glide that does not have cruise control and he would like to install it. Is the wiring harness already setup with the plug ins or will he have to purchase a new harness? Other then the control module, handle bar set/resume switch, cruise on/off switch, and the different throttle cable is there anything else that he needs? Does Harley have a kit for this?

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Many (or most) cruise control kits are obsolete from Harley. You have to search dealers to find one that has one in stock. The wiring harness is standard. My '07 EG Classic without cruise, has connectors for cruise.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Cruisemount.com I think can set you up with everything you need to add cruise to your bike. I have no connection or affiliation with these guys. I have a 2012 FLHP which clearly had no cruise. I had to purchase the cruise kit from Harley then purchase the wiring harnesses and connectors from Cruisemount. Cruisemount gave me easy to follow step by step install instructions. In retrospect I could have got everything from Cruisemount. My stock ECM was programmed for cruise it just needed the proper connections and wires.
Now that I think about it maybe it's Cruisemont.com instead of Cruisemount. One of those for sure. Good luck

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
71 Posts
Friend of mine is purchasing a 2006 street glide that does not have cruise control and he would like to install it. Is the wiring harness already setup with the plug ins or will he have to purchase a new harness? Other then the control module, handle bar set/resume switch, cruise on/off switch, and the different throttle cable is there anything else that he needs? Does Harley have a kit for this?
You will need this : Cruise Control Kit | Cruise Control | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

And this : 71513-98 and your roll off cable w/ switch.

:coffee:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Cruisemount.com I think can set you up with everything you need to add cruise to your bike. I have no connection or affiliation with these guys. I have a 2012 FLHP which clearly had no cruise. I had to purchase the cruise kit from Harley then purchase the wiring harnesses and connectors from Cruisemount. Cruisemount gave me easy to follow step by step install instructions. In retrospect I could have got everything from Cruisemount. My stock ECM was programmed for cruise it just needed the proper connections and wires.
Now that I think about it maybe it's Cruisemont.com instead of Cruisemount. One of those for sure. Good luck

I just saw Cruisemount went out of business this past June. Sorry. Now it said when pulling up their website there was another business that offered similar items. Google Cruisemount and you'll see the other business.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Thanks webco2, I believe this is what my friend was looking for. Although it does say for 2008 and up models the part number on the module 70955-04 is what fits 04 to 06 models.
Any Dealer can find that part for you too. They DO have a inner-dealer parts look-up on their computer network .

:coffee:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
I dont know
367 Posts
The older cruise has been obsolete for a couple years. I don't think any dealer has one left in stock.

Your best bet is a bike being parted on ebay, last time I was looking that's the only source that I could find.

·
Banned
71 Posts

·
I dont know
367 Posts
Im not a fan or cruise control.

On the interstate, I find there is to much traffic most of the time to use it.

I end up using it for short periods of time to rest my wrist, also when traveling with other bikes, its nearly impossible to match speed.

I simple throttle lock works fine, and costs much less than $800.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im not a fan or cruise control.

On the interstate, I find there is to much traffic most of the time to use it.

I end up using it for short periods of time to rest my wrist, also when traveling with other bikes, its nearly impossible to match speed.

I simple throttle lock works fine, and costs much less than $800.
Went to stugis two years ago with brother in law and another friend that both had touring bikes. I had my Fatboy, it was the only bike that did not have cruise. I had to stay in back since the throttle lock does not know if you are going up hill or down. Bought my ultra 6 months ago and use my cruise all the time. I would not buy another bike that did not have cruise.:thumbsup

·
I dont know
367 Posts
Where I live in Central Georgia, interstate traffic is like rush hour in a city.

Using cruise is just not feasible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts