Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
On the loose
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the forks off my 2014 SG to put chrome lowers on. Now I'm re-installing them and the manual tells me where to set them in the top tree depth wise then goes on to torquing the lower pair of pinch bolts ....that's about all the detail I have in the manual to re-install.

I wondering what is the best way to best way to make sure there parallel to each other as in the fender & axle bosses being aligned straight ? Do I just use the axle & fender to line them up ?

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Just try and get them as straight as possible and let Tue axle straighten the rest of the way.

My 09 just shouldered in the tree as well.

·
On the loose
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks , kinda thought that would get em straight , surprised the manual doesn't really explain anything about it.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
There are definitely some sections of the manual that could shed a little more light than what it does! Best thing about forks is that you have another one to look at if you have any questions. Just have to do them one at a time.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
There's a shoulder in the older years, wonder why they would change that??

Duce....can you use a straight edge at the top of the tree clamp??

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
When I reinstall forks, I apply the front brake and pump the forks up and down a few times before anything is tightened up to get things centered. Note; works good with dual discs, not so well with single.

·
On the loose
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a shoulder in the older years, wonder why they would change that??

Duce....can you use a straight edge at the top of the tree clamp??
No I'd have to take more stuff to get a straight edge across , height / length wise I'm good it's lining up the lowers to both be DBO facing forward .

Pics from my manual ,

Attachments

·
On the loose
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I reinstall forks, I apply the front brake and pump the forks up and down a few times before anything is tightened up to get things centered. Note; works good with dual discs, not so well with single.
Yes this makes sense, do I snug the upper pinch bolts to hold the forks , pump it a couple 3 times then tighten up the lower ones and then all the rest ?

·
Registered
39,577 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Whenever I am aligning forks on a dirtbike I leave the bolts a little loose, Spin the wheel as fast as I can and then slam on the front brake. That seems to line everything up. Do that a few times and then tighten everything up to york specs.

·
On the loose
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I should have searched Dellboys Garage , I like his video's :thumbsup

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Yes this makes sense, do I snug the upper pinch bolts to hold the forks , pump it a couple 3 times then tighten up the lower ones and then all the rest ?
I don't know that the tightening sequence is that critical. Just so everything is at it's relaxed position. Except the right lower fork leg, which is set with a 7/16" rod in the axle hole. May not be the same on a 2014.

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
On touring models the fork tube will fit all the way into the top clamp and bottom out when the cap nut is torqued, then torque the pinch bolts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts