Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are highway pegs easy to install on the engine guard bars? I took delivery of my 2014 Heritage Softail yesterday and the dealership forgot to install the pegs. They told me they would do it at the initial oil change/1,000 mile maintenance so i am just wondering if i should install them myself?

Wib

·
Mr. MojoRisen
1,241 Posts
Very easy to install. Use a tape measure to get them even, then try them out and then adjust as needed. Will probably take a few tries to get them where you want them. Be sure to loosen the clamps all the way before moving them, this way you will not scratch the chrome.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Very easy.

In fact, you SHOULD install them yourself as the likelihood of the dealership getting them exactly where you want them is pretty low anyway. It takes a little trial and error before you find the perfect height and angle. You'll probably adjust them a few times before all is said and done.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very easy.

In fact, you SHOULD install them yourself as the likelihood of the dealership getting them exactly where you want them is pretty low anyway. It takes a little trial and error before you find the perfect height and angle. You'll probably adjust them a few times before all is said and done.
I understand height. But angle? Assume that means they can be straight out from the engine guard bar, or perhaps tilted slightly inward, upward, etc?

·
Mr. MojoRisen
1,241 Posts
You may find you want them rotated slightly back so your feet rest squarely on the pegs, not just the inside of your foot.

·
Registered
275 Posts
i found the best way that worked for me if you have a lift or a wheel chock stand, or even someone that can hold the bike up straight so you can sit on it and place your feet on the pegs to get your basic starting point and angle then go from there

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
It takes me several tries to get new highway pegs right. I put one layer of masking tape over the bars to help prevent scratching. When you get them right, just rip the tape off, don't worry about the tape under the mount.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I understand height. But angle? Assume that means they can be straight out from the engine guard bar, or perhaps tilted slightly inward, upward, etc?
Yes. I find that if I rake them back slightly, my feet feel more secure, and there is no sensation that they are going to slide off the pegs.

And as said, I have them rotated so the "flat" of the peg is aligned with the flat of my foot in it's most comfortable position. If the pegs are round, it wouldn't matter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts