Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
DIRTBOY
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 fatboy.

Any pointers? I have the manual but still a bit fuzzy.

Do I need to pull the lower exhaust? Loosen the clutch pack, install, then readjust? Any thing to avoid? First time doing this. Want to learn and not just dump another 150$ into a shop and be more broke/less smart.

Thanks, Dave.

·
Registered
341 Posts
try cutting off the allen wrench first. i did this on my '09 triglide & did not have to remove the exhaust, but i'm not falimular with your bike.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Be sure to mal-adjust your cable so that full slack is in it, or will be difficult to get lever free sos can disconnect eyelet on top end of clutch cable from lever.

If you pull the bike up on a 2X4 & lean er on the jiffy, chances are you can remove the cover without draining the tranny oil. You'll lose a bit when cover is popped, but not much. Wi my FXDP, it sits so high & leans over so far on the jiffy, I don't even have to pull it up on 2X4's.

If you're very careful, you will not have to replace the cover gasket. I've removed mine 3X now on an '04 Dyna, still on same OEM gasket. No leaks (so far).

Don't know why you would have to loosen the entire clutch pack, but you will have to loosen the adjusting nut/thrust rod & completely re-adjust the clutch cable. Maybe that's what you ment anyway?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
It's not that big of a deal to take the exhaust off. By the time to cut down an allen wrench and wrestle around the tight openings, you could probably just take off the pipe and pull the transmission cover.

A couple of thoughts.

Pay close attention to how the pieces go together in the cover. The two opposing discs with the ball bearings is a simple design, but you have to get it back in there right for the clutch to work.

Also, pay close attention to the o-ring on the cable where it screws into the transmission cover. You want to make sure it seats correctly and/or it is not over-tightened. If so, you may get a leak there.

It's actually pretty straightforward. Good luck.

·
DIRTBOY
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Done. All of you are right. I pulled the exhaust out a bit and used a wobble Allen wrench. The cable was snapped so it was already wide open. The trans cover was clean and went together smoothly. I am now adjusting the cable. Thanks for the input. Saved 137$.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts