Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this under dynas just in case there's some weird difference between them and other models.

As stated in other posts, I ordered a new set of footpegs that just happen to be bundled with a new set of grips as well. Since they match, I'll probably go ahead and put them on my bike even though I was really only after new pegs.

Who has installed replacement grips by yourself and how easy or difficult did you find it? It seems the lefthand grip is pretty straightforward - just cut the old one off, get rid of the glue residue and glue the new one on. But what about the throttle grip? Anyone have a quick how-to on that. My biggest fear is getting the old ones off and not being able to get the new ones on.

Oh, and I'm assuming the new ones won't be arriving with glue so what kind of glue do you use for such a thing?

·
Registered
188 Posts
pherrules!! watch out phor your pherrules!

the little brass knobs that go at the ends of the throttle & idle cables that hold them into the throttle sleeve. they are easy to lose.

the jobs not that difficult. do you have a service manual yet? it will show you pretty much how to do it. you can probably phigure it out without the manual though.

loosen the clamp and under it you will phind the ends of the throttle & idle cables. carefully rotate the pherrules so they come out of the throttle sleeve, then you can slide the old grip off. slide the new one on, replace the cables into the new grip, put the clamp back on, drink a beer and admire your handy work.

the left side nowadays can be held on with just the clamp. but if you desire there are a number of good glues to hold it. i think there's one called grip glue even.

oh yeah..... don't glue the right one, just the left. :D

·
Just Ride
239 Posts
Grips

Yep, you can do it. Not to bad at all, just did mine a few days ago along with shinny new switch covers on a RK, :eek: as phreak mentioned the little boggers will get away from ya. Glue is optional and I chose not to. Know what your feeling.:ride

·
Registered
411 Posts
It makes it a lot easier if you loosen the adjusters for the throttle cables, then you have more cable to work with getting on the grips.
And while you in there, spray some lube down the cables and put a bit of oil on the h/bar for the grip.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the grips today along with the pegs. Pegs installed and feel and look great. The grips will have to wait until I find a willing friend who has changed them before - I don't have the nerve - it stands a chance of costing me valuable riding time.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll update my pix when I can get out and clean it up a little first without making icicles. I know phreak will have no appreciation for it but I did add a little bling I thought was kinda cool. In the JP catalog I found some magnetic billet chrome flames. They fit perfectly just behind the HD medallion on each side of the tank.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'll update my pix when I can get out and clean it up a little first without making icicles. I know phreak will have no appreciation for it but I did add a little bling I thought was kinda cool. In the JP catalog I found some magnetic billet chrome flames. They fit perfectly just behind the HD medallion on each side of the tank.
:eek:

let's see da pix

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:eek:

let's see da pix
Here da pix - I had to take them in my barn. As you can tell from the pix, the ground still a little wet outside and already more mud/dirt than I can stand on the bike. Will make some better pix when the weather turns.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
the rubber has stayed on my pedal, and pegs phor a couple years now. but it did pop out of one of my heel rests a phew months back.

called kuryahkyn, told them what happened, they sent out a new set of rubber phor the heel rests.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, you can do it. Not to bad at all, just did mine a few days ago along with shinny new switch covers on a RK, :eek: as phreak mentioned the little boggers will get away from ya. Glue is optional and I chose not to. Know what your feeling.:ride
Okay I "grew a set" overnight and took a crack at this today. Not that hard as you guys say except for a guy with larger than average fingers I guess. After dropping the ferrules umpteen times and losing one for about 15 minutes one time, I got the job done. Didn't use any glue (on either side Phreak - haha) and they seem to be on solid. I cheated a little though. I went to Kuryakyn's website and printed off installation instructions for their ISO grips. They did mention loosening the cables as someone suggested and that did help.

The only thing I'm noticing is that the throttle now won't completely go back to the neutral position without just a little nudge. It's not tight in either direction by any means and there is no extra slack in the cables either (I adjusted them back where they were). The thumb screw (poor man's cruise control) is loosened all the way out. It just doesn't seem to make that last little click back to neutral position without giving it a little twist. I tried tightening each cable a little more to see if it makes any difference and it doesn't seem to. Any ideas?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay I "grew a set" overnight and took a crack at this today. Not that hard as you guys say except for a guy with larger than average fingers I guess. After dropping the ferrules umpteen times and losing one for about 15 minutes one time, I got the job done. Didn't use any glue (on either side Phreak - haha) and they seem to be on solid. I cheated a little though. I went to Kuryakyn's website and printed off installation instructions for their ISO grips. They did mention loosening the cables as someone suggested and that did help.

The only thing I'm noticing is that the throttle now won't completely go back to the neutral position without just a little nudge. It's not tight in either direction by any means and there is no extra slack in the cables either (I adjusted them back where they were). The thumb screw (poor man's cruise control) is loosened all the way out. It just doesn't seem to make that last little click back to neutral position without giving it a little twist. I tried tightening each cable a little more to see if it makes any difference and it doesn't seem to. Any ideas?
Just went for a road test - @#%^& it's cold out there. Everything seems okay. Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so you got the throttle return sorted out then?
Well yes and no. As I said in my post, it just needs a slight nudge to return all the way anyway. I think what's happening when it's running, since I don't have a B motor, the vibration is enough to get it to return without help.

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
pherrules!! watch out phor your pherrules!

the little brass knobs that go at the ends of the throttle & idle cables that hold them into the throttle sleeve. they are easy to lose.

the jobs not that difficult. do you have a service manual yet? it will show you pretty much how to do it. you can probably phigure it out without the manual though.

loosen the clamp and under it you will phind the ends of the throttle & idle cables. carefully rotate the pherrules so they come out of the throttle sleeve, then you can slide the old grip off. slide the new one on, replace the cables into the new grip, put the clamp back on, drink a beer and admire your handy work.

the left side nowadays can be held on with just the clamp. but if you desire there are a number of good glues to hold it. i think there's one called grip glue even.

oh yeah..... don't glue the right one, just the left. :D
phreak,

man the lisph is not getting any better, you still doing speach therapy?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts