Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JP's Thread about taking an safety course got me thinking about lowing my premium.

Does anyone have progressive and have gotten the discount for the course?
Also does anyone have the lojack installed to get an insurance discount. How much of a discount are you looking at and what costs will the lojack include for maintenance? It's close to $600 installed from what I'm finding but, I don't know what kind of costs it would include yearly.

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
I have progressive. If I recall correctly I received discounts for being a HOG member, having an MC endorsement on my drivers license and for taking the Riders Edge course.

I don't know anything about LoJack.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have progressive. And I got a discount for the endorsment,the riders edge class , I dont remember anything about low jack either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
I had Progressive before Miss Piggychops got sick. Re-upped with another company last night. Much better. Progressive was charging me twice what I'm paying now. But yeah, I got the discount which amounted to a pile o' turdnickels.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I had Progressive before Miss Piggychops got sick. Re-upped with another company last night. Much better. Progressive was charging me twice what I'm paying now. But yeah, I got the discount which amounted to a pile o' turdnickels.
so mongo... what insurance did you go with and do they cover all of our add-ons? Progressive will let you add extra coverage for all of your upgrades and bling

i was looking at moving to progressive just for this reason. my state farm will not allow any extra over book value. and you know how much all these extras cost.

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
I don't recall if Progressive did this for me.

I filled out three online quotes the other night and that issue did come up - to put a value on "Accessories." To be honest, I can't remember. Went with Markell. Geico was very reasonable, as well.

Progressive was almost twice as much, which is not worth covering the extras I have on my bike, most of which came with it. I am a deal-hound and not willing to pay the ID-10-T tax you pay for buying crap at the dealership, so I've probably added $1500 in extras (would've paid at least four times as much at the dealer).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Can't tell ya... Once I found out Progressive was a "Huge" liberal supporter and contributed tons of money in support of gun bans I decided i would "Never" give them a dime of my money... Sorry for the hijack, but figured I would pass along the heads up..

Progressive :whizz

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Can't tell ya... Once I found out Progressive was a "Huge" liberal supporter and contributed tons of money in support of gun bans I decided i would "Never" give them a dime of my money... Sorry for the hijack, but figured I would pass along the heads up..

Progressive :whizz
Didn't know that, Mav. Damn, amigo! I'm glad you posted that!

It's ironic, 'cause I have USAA auto and Progressive is their Co-op on MC insurance.

F Progressive. More irony... I was thinking about the simple idea of their very NAME last night while takin' a leak by my garage. "Hmmm. Progressive... Sound like something I've heard before. Like all those liberals I love to loathe!"

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
I checked prices with Progressive before I got my '13 Road Glide. I remember them asking, like GEICO did, if I had taken a rider safety course within the last 3 years. I haven't ever taken one. So, maybe I missed a discount in the Progressive quote. But I'm not getting that discount from GEICO either but the Progressive quote was a little more than 3 times the GEICO quote. The GEICO coverage also provides $2K additional coverage for mods and you can buy additional mod coverage if you want. And by the way, when I got my '09 Sportster after not having a bike in over 20 years I insured it with State Farm cause that's who we have our vehicles and home covered with and have never had a claim with State Farm in many, many years. But the State Farm price seemed a little high. Two days after getting my Sporty I made some phone calls and switched to GEICO for a little less than half what State Farm was ripping me off for.

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
My monthly with Progressive - and I am plumb tuckered-out with their stupid commercials - was $77. With Markel, my monthly is 43% less and the down payment was nominal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You get addidtional accessory coverage at progressive of 3k and can add on more of u pay for and can prove it with receipts and pic so I did. Only way ill switch is when my total loss changes in a coupke years then im going back to dairyland who had great rates. For now progressive has the best coverage for the price on what I want and need. The doscounts are the riders course, hog, safe driver, adding another vehicle or house etc and lojack. I think rlink beats lojack and they need to consider giving a discount for it amd not just for lojack :/

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Seriously.......You get a discount for having a M/C license/endorsement???????:think

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use Progressive and pay by the year $423 which would be $35.25/month. I use the HOG, riders edge and MC endorsement discounts. After 3 yrs with them my rates suddenly went up by $70 when I called them and asked why they said all rates for Arkansas are going up. I said I was gonna shop around and after 10 minutes answering questions they dropped my rates by $90. As long has they treat me right I'll stick with them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi all, my day job is being a sales operations manager at a large insurance brokerage in Texas. We write insurance in 45 states. Our system lets us quote about 15 insurance carriers simultaneously. Progressive, Safeco, etc. We try to have an even reflection of the market. No strings attached, I'd be happy to run you through our system to see which carriers are targeting your specific customer profile.

Feel free to call or email me at work if you want me to research it for you.

No trying to hard sell or jockey business or anything. Just thought it might be insightful if you're interested to see how your current rates compare to the market high, low, and average.

Safeco happened to have the best deal for my Dyna. Feel free to holler if you have any questions about this stuff. It can get tricky.

[email protected]
214-838-5415

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Go Army!
632 Posts
I've had good results with Geiko, and am currently with Allstate. My yearly premium is $391.00 per year or 32.65/month).

This includes:
Bodily Injury at $100,000 each person $300,000 each accident (Passenger Liability Coverage included)
Property Damage at $100,000 each accident
Collision with a $500 deductable
Comprehensive with a $500 deductable, and
Towing and Labor

Allstate also allow up to $30,000 in optional equipment. My rate includes about $11,000 in added equipment. When asking for a quote, I was told to include the labor costs to install the added equipment.

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the General Consensus is that my Insurance agent is giving it to me :spank: ??? evidently progressive gives their agents a bigger piece of the pie to enroll costumers.

I've got a $1,200 yearly premium! I'm on full coverage with $3k accessory, and the underinsured/uninsured coverage of up to $100k.

I've got one at fault accident from 4 years ago on my record. And a recent speeding ticket but those are usually forgiven after 6 months and it doesn't come up on my policy details online.

I know I ride a fairly expensive bike and I'm only 20 years old but, DANG!!! It's time to do some shopping!

·
Go Army!
632 Posts
Forty, I'd continue shopping but with all due respect don't expect significant savings until you're at least 25 years old or older. Also, not sure what your credit score is but that will play a major role in determining your premiums. There are many types of credit scores out there, but I would suggest get your FICO score from myFICO.com Good luck!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts