Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is in the right forum...but heres the story.

I have an expired motorcycle permit (was going to renew it this week). Got the strong urge to ride the bike so i rode it down the street to a lowes because i needed to pick up a key.

While i was inside, someone backed up and smacked my bike, knocking it over. They admitted fault and i got their insurance information. Would me having an expired permit make a difference in this? I filed a claim today, going to renew my permit tomorrow anyways.

Also, i am a missouri resident.

Let me know what you think.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Not sure if this is in the right forum...but heres the story.

I have an expired motorcycle permit (was going to renew it this week). Got the strong urge to ride the bike so i rode it down the street to a lowes because i needed to pick up a key.

While i was inside, someone backed up and smacked my bike, knocking it over. They admitted fault and i got their insurance information. Would me having an expired permit make a difference in this? I filed a claim today, going to renew my permit tomorrow anyways.

Also, i am a missouri resident.

Let me know what you think.
I think you're fine.......had you been riding maybe a different story.

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,195 Posts
Don't ask....don't tell.... is your best road to take .
^^^^This. What they don't know won't hurt you. It was not a moving violation for you, and for all they know, your buddy with a valid license could have borrowed your scoot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called my Lawyer brother in law. He said even if i didn't have a permit, they are at fault. He said it would be different if i hit them or got into a wreck myself.

·
Retired citizen
24,501 Posts
Non moving violation. Your bike is just sitting there and some other motor vehicle runs it over ... you aren't at fault. UNLESS the other motor vehicle doesn't have insurance. Then your insurance kicks in ... if your coverage is still effective.
If they aren't insured and your's is out of date ... time to hire an attorney !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Non moving violation. Your bike is just sitting there and some other motor vehicle runs it over ... you aren't at fault. UNLESS the other motor vehicle doesn't have insurance. Then your insurance kicks in ... if your coverage is still effective.
If they aren't insured and your's is out of date ... time to hire an attorney !
Thanks for the comment bud. Yeah my insurance is up to date and they have insurance. The only thing out of wack is my expired permit. I wanted some peace of mind so i appreciate all the responses guys.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Insurance questions vary state to state. Here, in MA, you can insure a vehicle, and not immediately register it. And you arent required to be a licensed operator to either insure it OR register it. Which really makes no sense, but, hey, thats MA laws for you :).
If your state works the way ours does, then your driver status is irrelevant-particularly if you were parked, and not driving it. Its fundamentally the same as if someone pulled into your driveway and hit it.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
. . . you arent required to be a licensed operator to either insure it OR register it. Which really makes no sense . . .
My grandmother never had a DL in her life. After my grandfather died, she was the registered owner of his car and truck for 25+ years until her death. She kept them insured and kept up the plates on them, and anytime she needed to go somewhere, one of the licensed drivers in the family would drive her in her car. That's how she wanted it, and it was her business.

The car was a '68 New Yorker 440. Floated down the road like a boat but had the power of a muscle car. A very interesting experience for me as a 16-year-old kid driving her to the grocery. But, I prevailed.

Truck was a '70 F-100. Three on the tree. I learned to drive on it. I'd give my left testicle to have it now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.