Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here so I'm not sure if this is the right area, but I'll give it a shot. I have a 99 883 and am trying to replace the intake manifold seals. I'm havein an issue getting the right side bolt to come all the way out. They are getting hung up on the part of the manifold that goes to the carb. If I loosened all the bolt and the rotated it a bit would that be bad? Just don't want to muck anything up. Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Another suggestion.
When reinstalling. Before tightening the manifold flange bolts first put on the AC backing plate and the crankcase breather bolts. Snug them down.
Doing this first makes sure the carb is properly aligned horizontally and the manifold centered. Then go back in tighten everything.

Have seen cracked backing plates and/or air leaks from people forcing the breather bolts after tightening the manifold first.

A little grease on the new intake gaskets will not hurt a thing either.
Just may smoke a little on initial startup when burning off. You do not need a lot.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
The intake bolts should be either allen head or 12 point. Hex head bolts use too much room. Make sure bolts are not too long. I always run bolts all the way into head when the manifold is off, and measure against thickness of flange. Slightly too short bolts are better than slightly too long, as long won't clamp properly.
TS' advice to align the filter backing plate before tightening the manifold is WELL worth the few minutes time it takes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay I'm gunna try it right now. I'll let ya know how it goes. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts