Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in an earlier post about storing my bike at my local dealership while I'm on the mend. Also they were to check out my ABS. When I got there today I walked around speaking to everyone. They have a young man named Sid who is the low man on the totem pole. He's the wash guy/gopher. I always make sure I look him up and speak to him along with everybody else. So today he called me back to his wash bay and told me he knows I always keep my bike real clean. Since my shoulder is still pretty lame , he buffed out and detailed my RK. It looked the best it has ever looked. When I asked him how much I owed him, he said nothing, he just wanted to do it. So I went and got two drinks out of the machine, wrapped a twenty dollar bill around one and took it back to him. When I handed it to him, he noticed the bill, I thanked him again for what he did for me and told him how good of job he did. I thought I saw a tear in the corner of his eye. Now that the warm, fuzzy part is over with. They fixed my ABS after lots of effort. They tried all kinds of ways to make the three wire tach, that they said would work before I bought it off ebay work, with no success. So I bought a new tach and harness from them and installed by them. Well afterwards my Abs no longer worked. A new ABS module was $800.00+. I bought one off ebay for $32.00 including shipping. The problem it seemed was the harness was not wired correctly from the factory and it fried my old module. Miraculous as it is the $32.00 unit worked. Here's my quandary. When I asked my buddy the service manager where we stood. He said don't worry about it he'd take care of me. So I asked him, what if I had not had a backup unit and due to their errors, an $800.00+ dollar unit had to be bought, who would be responsible for the module? He started stuttering and tap dancing while saying they would be responsible for their mistakes and what would it take to make me happy. He then offered to service my bike. which it doesn't need right now. Then some other customers came up and not wanting them to get the wrong idea about our discussion, I told him we'd talk later, when ever I pick up my bike. I mean we're old friends I've been a customer and personal friend of the family forever(they own the dealership). I don't have but $32.00 in it, so I really don't want to try and hold their feet to the fire over a new unit. I don't know how to wrap my head around this. Any and all advice or opinions will be extremely welcome. No matter what I'm not going to let this affect our friendship in any way. Hell, he's got my bags on his bike now, because his are on another friend of ours bike.:D Like I said, an interesting day at the Harley shop.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
Good for you.

The good will be returned in form or another

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
If you had to buy a new unit from Harley and couldn't get the one from Ebay I'd have complained.

They did get your ABS going and were trying to save you money when they broke it, so I'd not complain about the $32 and move on with life.

I'm glad to hear of the good deed that was done for you.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
If you had to buy a new unit from Harley and couldn't get the one from Ebay I'd have complained.

They did get your ABS going and were trying to save you money when they broke it, so I'd not complain about the $32 and move on with life.

I'm glad to hear of the good deed that was done for you.

That's where I'm at as well.

Good on ya to take care of the kid tho, the little guys always appreciate more than you'll ever know, unless you've been there.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,113 Posts
I am with you on taking care of the wash kid...Just make sure you all keep tipping on the down low.

Many companies do not want their employees taking tips. If I catch my staff taking tips I am supposed to write them up immediately, and it is a fire-able offence. :whistle

As for the part... let it go.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,361 Posts
Ya done good. That kid will remember you in the future, you can bet on it. As a group that hangs out at the local shop, we make it a point to bring in donuts, biscuits, etc. for the staff on a pretty regular basis. It's amazing how much more interest that staff takes in us and our scoots when things need doing.

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's about the way I feel about it. No harm, no foul. One hand washes the other. Besides if Doug Sr. had to get off an $800.00 part due to a mechanics mistake, it would be hell to pay. Those guys back there have been my friends for a long time and would do almost anything to help me. So I certainly don't want to bring any heat on them. I'll probably just bust Little Doug's balls for awhile then just tell him he owes me one. As for Sid, he's a good, hard working kid that doesn't get the respect he deserves. My bike is a black 06 Road King and he buffed out all the fine scratches to a mirror finish.. It looks like it just rolled off the showroom. I've been thinking about bringing it home so I could do what he did for me. Now I don't have to. And yeah, I like to keep little things like his tip on the down low. I wouldn't want to embarrass him, or get him in trouble. All in all, I'd have to say , it was a very good day.:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I went and got two drinks out of the machine, wrapped a twenty dollar bill around one and took it back to him. When I handed it to him, he noticed the bill, I thanked him again for what he did for me and told him how good of job he did.
Very nice of you, :thumb

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Karma will take care of everything coot. Keep being yourself. This is a better world because of people like you.

God speed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks, it's nice of you to say so, but what I did was nothing. What Sid did for me out of the goodness of his heart, expecting nothing in return. That was the big thing to me. I don't know about everybody else, but it's not every day someone does something really cool for me. He has definitely made a friend. :nod

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Thanks, it's nice of you to say so, but what I did was nothing. What Sid did for me out of the goodness of his heart, expecting nothing in return. That was the big thing to me. I don't know about everybody else, but it's not every day someone does something really cool for me. He has definitely made a friend. :nod
Nice Coot! And you can't put a price on friendship.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts