Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going through changing all my fluids today. Oil went good. Primary, no issues. Transmission, ummmmm yeah. It all started when I removed the drain plug and attached to the magnet was a piece of metal in the form of a grade 8 screw. Talked with local dealer and they said the only grand 8's on the tranny are on the outside. All on inside are grade 5. Any help on this would be great as my bike is sitting and the weather is awesome.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Grade 8 is harder than grade 5, not better. Grade 5's are needed where some bending under shear is preferred to shearing. At any rate, if there is a bolt on the magnet, either 1) something came loose, and you need to take the transmission apart and fix it, or 2) when the magnet was out before a bolt stuck to it. I'd take it a part and have a look.

·
Retired citizen
24,534 Posts
I would remove the cover and inspect the shift drum support for missing bolts, that's about the only place inside the trans where there's bolts.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Grade 8 is harder than grade 5, not better. Grade 5's are needed where some bending under shear is preferred to shearing. At any rate, if there is a bolt on the magnet, either 1) something came loose, and you need to take the transmission apart and fix it, or 2) when the magnet was out before a bolt stuck to it. I'd take it a part and have a look.
Sorry, let me try that again. Grade 8 is harder and more expensive then grade 5 so I would put it back in. :rofl:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts