Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an interesting thing happen. I had a bird build a nest in my windshield bag. I went to Atlanta Saturday so, not wanting a bird nest in my windshield bag I took the nest out. I got back from Atl around 11:00pm Saturday night. I went to get my bike out at 9:00am Sunday morning and this is what I found. They must have been waiting on me to get back home so they could go to work again. Not wanting to interfere with nature I took the bag off and put it on the Dr. Pepper machine and I haven't seen them since. Has anyone else had such an occurence?

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
Funny story.. but I'm callin B.S. on ya. Bike's too clean for birds hanging around.. sorry...

·
Retired citizen
22,072 Posts
Never seen a bird do that. Have seen mice nests inside fairings though and they do damage too !

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Haven't had a bird build a nest on my bike but they did build a nest under the toolbox in front of the wheelwell on my truck last summer. At the time it was parked for almost a week.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
B.S.

Funny story.. but I'm callin B.S. on ya. Bike's too clean for birds hanging around.. sorry...
B.S. are you kidding me? Who are you to say something such as that to or about me. It is a clean bike, as a matter of fact both of my Harleys are spotless. They are kept in a screened in carport with an opening at the top, birds are free to come and go as they please, as they do quite a bit, they have caused no problems until this. The screen door to the pool deck stays open most of the time also. Why the hell would I make up a story like this? We keep multi million dollar jets in a closed hangar and find nest in the engine nacelles, wheel wells, etc. from time to time.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Im surprised you dont have bird crap on your bike...May I ask why you dont close in the top of the carport to keep them out.?...Just asking

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
Not on the bike, but my wife found a nest in her FF helmet yesterday, it was in the garage, but with bikes and kids in and out constantly the garage door is open most of the day.

We are going to be sure and close the visors from now on, her helmet is trashed...

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
We had a problem with birds building nests in various places in our garage for years. They especially liked hanging helmets, so we started keeping them wrapped in plastic bags. And yes, I would remove a nest, and the next day they would rebuild. I finally hung a few old CD's near the entrance. They spin in the breeze and reflect light, and I haven't had a nest in years. I bought and hung two Boston ferns on the front porch on a Monday this year, when I went to water them Tuesday evening, birds flew out, yep,, they had started a nest.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
B.S. are you kidding me? Who are you to say something such as that to or about me. It is a clean bike, as a matter of fact both of my Harleys are spotless. They are kept in a screened in carport with an opening at the top, birds are free to come and go as they please, as they do quite a bit, they have caused no problems until this. The screen door to the pool deck stays open most of the time also. Why the hell would I make up a story like this? We keep multi million dollar jets in a closed hangar and find nest in the engine nacelles, wheel wells, etc. from time to time.
Stopped and thought about that... my bad.. the damn things are around my house, but don't dump around their nests, just all over my deck. We are trying moth balls, the birds don't like em, seems to be keeping em away.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reasons

Im surprised you dont have bird crap on your bike...May I ask why you dont close in the top of the carport to keep them out.?...Just asking
There are several reasons.

1) With the design it would be work intensive, considering the reasons below, not worth it.

2) With the top open, it is cooler. That might sound weird but, if you think about it, the screen has about 50% coverage, that means there is only 50% of the area for air to escape, if you figure the turbulence caused by escaping air through the little holes there is'nt even 50% available. I know people never think about it in that repect but turbulence is created and that hampers smooth airflow. If you think about it in terms of a screen material vs. chicken wire or chain link fence it makes more sense. The top open allows hot air a place to escape unabated. Goes back to aerodynamics and air flow.

3) The front is a garage door and the rear is the screen door that leads to the spa and the pool deck. Both are open most of the time when we are home.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I own 2 parrots and during nesting season they are the most persistant creaturesyou could ever encounter. When birds want to build a nest They will wait for the opertunity to rebuild in the place of choice. Even if it's on a bike. Not all birds think like parrots But the nature of birds isn't alot different between species. You can take a bird out of the wild but you can't take the wild out of the bird.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
I shoot them.
Little chits will come back year after year and build in the same spot if you don't stop them. I get swallows in the spring and they get into the shops, the covered lean-to's and what ever. When I start finding piles of chit on my cars, trucks, tractors, work benches, lifts, patio furniture etc, they get terminated. I try to wait till they lay eggs so that the eggs die too then those 2 generations never come back to that exact spot. Power washing and spraying ammonia on the old nest after they have left doesn't work either, the only way is to kill them. I leave the ones that don't build over something I don't want them chitting on because I hear they eat their weight in mosquitoes. And don’t get me started about wood peckers that find metal vents and stove pipes to hammer on.

P.S. don't take things so seriously we all mean well and have different types of humor.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
I have 2nests now. One in my atv shed, and one ontop of my backporch light. One has eggs and the other just got abandoned by its 6 recent occupants.

Never had one nest in my bike but i have had them nest in my helmets that are hangibg in the shed on the wall. What a surprise to go get the ontercom helmet off the rack and a birds nest inside it.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
At least they have good taste in where they nest.

I went out to fire up the Barbie once and it exploded into flames and smoke because a starling made a big ass nest inside the grill. Now I open the lid before I light it up.

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
Maybe they just wanted a ride to ATL. What kind birds are they? Shake the nest and see if a teeny tiny Obama phone falls out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts