Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lady and I riding double, cruising between 70 and up to 80 for five or ten minutes to get home . When I pulled up in the yard I noticed a ticking .. It wasn’t real loud , but it sounded like maybe a lifter was ticking.. These are SE hydraulic lifters and it has S&S 585 cams . I’ve got a few thousand miles to n this build and it’s never had any noises till now .. Can someone give me an educated opinion on what’s happening here .. I immediately changed the oil and filter and it sounded normal when it fired back up .. puzzled 😕

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Was traveling down the freeway at the usual speed.. between 70 to 80 and came to a stop and noticed a slight tick. Now this tick sounded like a lifter was not quite pumped up , but it was constant and very noticeable. So i checked the oil and the level looked unusually high.. like to the top . high.. So i went ahead and dropped the oil out of it and put 2 and 3/4 quarts back in with a new filter.. No metal shavings in the oil that was drained..So i cranked it up and the noise went away. This bike has had a 110 kit installed with the cams , new heads and lifters. So everything up top is new. My question is ,What could cause the oil level to be high and cause a lifter to tick .? Oil pump not keeping up maybe ?Or maybe just a weak lifter.. They are SE hydraulic rollers with a 2k miles on them..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts