Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am new to this message board and am looking for some advice. I have completely fallen in love with the Iron 883 and am wondering what experienced riders thoughts are on having one as a beginner bike. I have much experience riding dirt bikes but know a motorcycle can be completely different. I am 18 years old and hoping to have my first bike come spring time after I pay off my car. If you feel the 883 isn't a good first bike please leave a suggestion for a different bike and a reason why. Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
42,085 Posts
883 is a great bike. Easy to convert to 1200/1250 with cylinders and pistons later on down the road when you have the cash.

Or if you want to go all out, you can go to 88ci (1340cc).

·
luv the low country
20,286 Posts
Welcome from Conway, SC.

·
Registered
11,786 Posts
Any bike you like can be a great first bike--that's the only rule there is.

And you may be very happy with an 883. But I would bet a LOT of money that if you buy the 883 it won't be long before you are trying to kick yourself in the nuts for not getting the 1200. :smile

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,956 Posts
Agree with all of this ^^^^

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Go ride a few bikes. A 883 CAN BE A GREAT FIRST BIKE, but can also not be for some people. I love mine and put tons of miles on it every year. The Sportster does have a high center of gravity and can for some people can be awkward to handle at slow speeds. Before you buy, ride several different models, maybe even several different brands , and make an educated purchase.
Welcome and good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Best first bike ever. in my personal opinion i like the style over every other bike. i have a 2015 IRON 883 denim black and this is my first bike. still cant get over it and ride it every day has my commuter. However, after a while you're going to want to make your pipes louder and the great thing is that you can convert it to a 1200. i already want to go faster but great bike to begin with. welcome and good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 2010 Iron. Amazing first bike. Like all the other users have said though. You will eventually grow to want more power. Its a super fun bike to ride and handles great. My only gripe is the suspension. Its a bit rough, but you learn to absorb the rough parts of the road with your legs lol. Enjoy and be safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts