Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and the biker world. I turn 21 in a few months and want a motorcycle. I've already registered for a msf course and getting the appropriate safety equipment. With all that being said I have no idea what is a good beginner bike. I have experience with dirt bikes, four-wheelers, and everything in between but never actually drove a real motorcycle. I am currently looking at the iron 883. I would buy one used and shop around but is it a beginner friendly bike I know it is a bit on the heavy side. But, I'm no push over either I'm 5'9 and about 180 pounds and workout often. If this is not a good beginner bike please by all means throw in some good suggestions. Everything that I have research on it seems great it has a wide range of mods you can do to it and with it being a 883 when I feel I want to get something bigger I can get it converged over to a 1200. Thanks in advance for the advice guys

·
Just Ride
3,204 Posts
Go for a Dyna. Light weight and lower center of gravity than sportster.

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
An iron 883 would be a great first bike. So would a 1200 Sporty. So would a Dyna. So would a softail.

You could handle any of those bikes if you take it easy and realize there is a learning curve. The weight of the bike really isn't that important. Balance and leverage are your friends--get to know them well.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Go to your local HD dealer and ride different models. Don't let anyone tell you this bike is too big or too small for you. You'll know it when it you find the right bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Congratulations!!!!! Your life is about to change forever... As far as a "first" bike or "beginners" bike; No such thing...

My first bike was a Suzuki Intruder 750... I was talked out of the 1200 model... I knew when I bought it I was making a mistake, but bought it anyway... Beautiful bike that ran and handled well, BUT it was too damn small... I traded it in one year later for a bigger, Yamaha VStar 1100.... Lost a shit ton of money on the trade-in...

My point is, no such thing as a beginners bike... It's all how you ride the bike... RESPECT the bike regardless of the model or size of the bike...

Go to the dealer, sit on and RIDE as many bikes as you need to, then make your decision based on the bike that fits for you... I found that my first Harley picked me... I went looking for a soft tail Slim and rode out with a Fat Boy Lo...

Just my thoughts... Stay safe!!!

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
883's are a good bike and can be found for a decent price. Buy one, ride it, and learn if you are a Harley person or not. If yes, buy more Harleys. If no, it will be easy to sell. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appreciate all the advice guys! Super excited about making this decision. I will keep you guys updated on the bike I decide to purchase.

·
Frozen Member
2,323 Posts
If you have ridden dirt bikes then you know how. A street bike is a little different but easier to ride in most respects, you just have to ride it with street smarts.

I'm not knocking the 883 but just because its a smaller displacement doesnt mean its a better beginners bike.

If you dont have your endorsement yet whats the hurry to buy anyway? My suggestion is that before you buy something, get your endorsement, then hit some dealerships and try a few different bikes, try some metrics too for that matter just so you know the difference. I would even say to ride the metrics first so once you feel a Harley under your butt you'll have a basis of comparison. Bring your helmet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So ive taken team oregon for my endorsement....i rode a suzuki gx250...fun lil bike...then i rode a seca 600 for a bit...didnt care for it but still fun lil bike...now i just purchased a brand new 2020 harley iron 883...listen i know i am a newb still but this is the best advice i can give that others gave on here and people i know have said the same thing...test ride one...calm down, dont go balls to the wall, be smart and ride cautious...get to know the bitch...dont break in the middle of turns...no a 883 isnt that heavy at all...low center of gravity, people that say its a "fat piece of shit" really are just shit talkers..if you like the bike ride it! If you dont then dont get it...i think its a great bike to learn and respect! It has plenty of power and dont listen to those that say its a girls bike...we all like to bull shit but its a good bike...not over powering at all...matter of fact its got lower HP then the seca did...and only 13ft pounds of torque more then the seca....just ride safe man youll be good

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got Thumper a 2006 883 XLR.
Ive had cancer & down from 225lbs
down to 145lbs. Lost most of my strength.
Have owned many bikes (50cc-250cc) Honda, Suzuki Yamaha.
I was into flat track racing.
I can handle Thumper to a point. Lean too far at a stop & it will lay down on you. Close to 600lbs with sissy bar, engine guard & windshield.
Harleys are a different breed. The way you have to ride one takes practice. Had mine out about 12 rides of 25miles and I am just now getting the hang of cornering. Cant lean into curves too far or case bottoms out. Speed bumps bottom out.
Taking all this in hell yea go get it.
Has plenty of power for general rides to work etc.
Not so good for a ride to Sturges.

·
Registered
864 Posts
If you take the Harley-Davidson Rider Academy Course, I believe you ride a Street 750. My wife's first Harley was a 2015 Street 750 (upgrading from a 2009 Honda Rebel 250) and then after a year, she upgraded to a 2016 Forty-Eight 1200. The Street 750 was a nice size for her, but when I rode it (I'm 6'2" 220 lbs.) it was small for me. I remember the adrenaline rush the first time I fired up my 2016 Ultra Limited (I was upgrading from a 2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750) . . . I put it in gear, took off, and was amazed at how well an almost 1,000 pound bike balanced. I've never looked back!

Good luck with your future bike and make sure to let everyone know what you picked out (pictures too, or it didn't happen)!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Best advise I have seen and heard... Test ride every bike you can and not just around the block 20-50 miles will allow you enough time in the saddle to figure out if you and said bike are “one”.

i had an 05’ XL1200 that I rode for a few years as a ride to work 45 mile round trip across Florida. Then moved to TN and rode it year round for a year or so. Rode the Dragon on it. Made several trips to and from Florida. One with my adult daughter (that was a fun trip...)

I then picked up a Road King and rode it for a year. Now I have an Electra glide and loving it!

·
V-Twin Junkie
250 Posts
Dynas are sweet bikes, and while they may have a lower center of gravity than an Iron, they are still about 100 pounds heavier. I came to Harleys after 35 years on dirt bikes and sport bikes. The Sportster to me is a pretty perfect base for customizing. I am constantly modding mine. I think you will enjoy a Sporty, and they are quite a bit less expensive than Dynas.

With that having been said, if a Dyna happened to be on a certain showroom floor on a night I happened to be wandering through, and if the dealer were to make the right pitch regarding trades ...

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,776 Posts
Something makes me think that if he hasn't posted anything in the last 2-1/2 years, he's probably no longer looking for advice. Bet he bought a Honda.

·
weird member
2,256 Posts
Something makes me think that if he hasn't posted anything in the last 2-1/2 years, he's probably no longer looking for advice. Bet he bought a Honda.
Oh wow, didn't notice how old the thread was when I responded, just had seen in pop up under the new tab and scrolled to the newest post at the time.

NFG's resurrecting old threads all over the place, I'm going to have to pay more attention. ?

Reactions: southernman_67

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,776 Posts
Oh wow, didn't notice how old the thread was when I responded, just had seen in pop up under the new tab and scrolled to the newest post at the time.

NFG's resurrecting old threads all over the place, I'm going to have to pay more attention. ?
I never saw your post, Kyle. I still don’t see it. But, you’re right, there’s been an abundance of old threads resurrected lately, for no good reason.

Reactions: sardonicus87

·
weird member
2,256 Posts
I never saw your post, Kyle. I still don’t see it. But, you’re right, there’s been an abundance of old threads resurrected lately, for no good reason.
Oh, must have been a different thread, they're all starting to run together.

Probably should have looked up and realized this wasn't the thread I thought it was.

Too much chit going on and my melon meat is on the fritz lately.

Reactions: southernman_67
1 - 20 of 38 Posts