Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I enjoyed reading y'alls replies! I’m in the same boat as the OP. I have done a fair amount of test riding (Sporsters , BMWs, Triumphs, Indians, Moto Guzzis) and am still having a hard time deciding. The thing that concerns me about the sporster isn’t the power per se, but the claimed lack of highway riding potential. Does anyone find this to be true? Obviously there are better machines to use for tons of touring but I’m looking for a first bike that can do most everything fairly well. 300 mile one way trips to the beach, commuting, twisties, and the like. Would I be better off looking at a dyna or new softail like the street bob? I’ll also add ABS is a non-negotiable for me as it’s going to be my first bike.
Thanks!

·
V-Twin Junkie
574 Posts
First of all, it is a SporTster. Secondly, there are many threads that touch on whether Sportsters can be good over the road. FWIW, my 883 is great on the highway as I have it set up. If you want a bike that loafs along at 3000 rpm at 80 mph, a Sportster is probably not in your cards, but if you realize that the Sportster likes revs and can make peace with that understanding, you can have a great time on one. I've done many 3-400 mile days on mine, and don't think 500 would be bad at all. Iron Butt? No thanks-but then again, I have zero interest in not enjoying the scenery.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and the biker world. I turn 21 in a few months and want a motorcycle. I've already registered for a msf course and getting the appropriate safety equipment. With all that being said I have no idea what is a good beginner bike. I have experience with dirt bikes, four-wheelers, and everything in between but never actually drove a real motorcycle. I am currently looking at the iron 883. I would buy one used and shop around but is it a beginner friendly bike I know it is a bit on the heavy side. But, I'm no push over either I'm 5'9 and about 180 pounds and workout often. If this is not a good beginner bike please by all means throw in some good suggestions. Everything that I have research on it seems great it has a wide range of mods you can do to it and with it being a 883 when I feel I want to get something bigger I can get it converged over to a 1200. Thanks in advance for the advice guys
my advice is dont get it invest in a dyna I have a dyna s and I shit you not my first bike was 883 and I should have waited to buy it and seen about financing a new bike so I only rode that sportster for a couple months and what a difference in handling performance all around deadly ride so go take a few test rides I find the one

·
Registered
20 Posts
I enjoyed reading y'alls replies! I’m in the same boat as the OP. I have done a fair amount of test riding (Sporsters , BMWs, Triumphs, Indians, Moto Guzzis) and am still having a hard time deciding. The thing that concerns me about the sporster isn’t the power per se, but the claimed lack of highway riding potential. Does anyone find this to be true? Obviously there are better machines to use for tons of touring but I’m looking for a first bike that can do most everything fairly well. 300 mile one way trips to the beach, commuting, twisties, and the like. Would I be better off looking at a dyna or new softail like the street bob? I’ll also add ABS is a non-negotiable for me as it’s going to be my first bike.
Thanks!
Dyna low rider s my friend put the 2 to 1 pipe a d you'll find what your looking for trust me

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Jayman; Please realize that you are responding to OLD posts. More importantly, PLEASE learn to punctuate and capitalize on your thoughts. Run-on sentences tend to not make sense at least, and at most make people suspect your knowledge.

·
V-Twin Junkie
574 Posts
Jayman, you're in the Sportster section here. There is a separate subforum for Dynas, which are nice bikes, though not the end-all of big twins these days. On a twisty road, with equal riders, a Sportster will leave a Dyna behind-especially if it is a 1200/1250/1275.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Never ran into a sportster that could even come close to me especially on corners the dyna s is crazy fast and when you go into a lean you can bring her down till your knees almost scrap the road and going a 140 to 150 kilometers an hour

·
Registered
20 Posts
Never ran into a sportster that could even come close to me especially on corners the dyna s is crazy fast and when you go into a lean you can bring her down till your knees almost scrap the road and going a 140 to 150 kilometers an hour
With 2 gears more to go on a stretch

·
Wayward Son
23,823 Posts
still biting tongue
@misinlink Did the new owners ever get back to you Mods about the new Safe Space board?
Think we may have another member in need.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and the biker world. I turn 21 in a few months and want a motorcycle. I've already registered for a msf course and getting the appropriate safety equipment. With all that being said I have no idea what is a good beginner bike. I have experience with dirt bikes, four-wheelers, and everything in between but never actually drove a real motorcycle. I am currently looking at the iron 883. I would buy one used and shop around but is it a beginner friendly bike I know it is a bit on the heavy side. But, I'm no push over either I'm 5'9 and about 180 pounds and workout often. If this is not a good beginner bike please by all means throw in some good suggestions. Everything that I have research on it seems great it has a wide range of mods you can do to it and with it being a 883 when I feel I want to get something bigger I can get it converged over to a 1200. Thanks in advance for the advice guys
I currently own an Iron 883 and just got a 2018 fatbob. I think that the 883 is a great bike for someone like you who has some experience on dirt bikes. They also are fun well beyond the learning period too. I actually just did a review on my bike that goes into more details -

·
Registered
22 Posts
Awesome! Don’t listen to anyone but yourself. Read, take lessons, and practice. Obviously everyone hear is gonna say get a Harley, probably the one they have. Everyone likes their own bike and you will too! Whatever it is.

My advice for a first bike is going to be similar to Fast Eddie (checkout motojitsu on YouTube) Buy used and what you can pay cash for. Save your money for riding gear, better than basic lessons, track daus and trips!

I’ve got 30 years of riding experience, most of it was worthless because I wasn’t focused on being a better rider. In the last year I’ve changed a lot of bad habits and can do a whole lot more than I ever could.

You’ve got more time ahead of you than us old guys so use it!

·
Retired citizen
23,922 Posts
IMO, do not buy an Ironhead 883 for your 1st Harley ! Same money will get you an EVO Sporty, a much easier bike to service and repair ... to keep running when ya need it. The EVO Sportys are the most bullet proof bikes the MoCo produced.

Reactions: Kainam

·
Retired citizen
23,922 Posts
Oops, I let myself get sucked into another resurrected old thread ! Oh well I stand by what I post !

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,910 Posts
LOL, Schmidty! Yeah, we have lots of experts on here these days. Glad you’re still hanging with us.

Reactions: SCHMIDTY
21 - 38 of 38 Posts