Harley Davidson Forums banner

Iron 883 for first bike

21K views 37 replies 23 participants last post by  southernman_67 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and the biker world. I turn 21 in a few months and want a motorcycle. I've already registered for a msf course and getting the appropriate safety equipment. With all that being said I have no idea what is a good beginner bike. I have experience with dirt bikes, four-wheelers, and everything in between but never actually drove a real motorcycle. I am currently looking at the iron 883. I would buy one used and shop around but is it a beginner friendly bike I know it is a bit on the heavy side. But, I'm no push over either I'm 5'9 and about 180 pounds and workout often. If this is not a good beginner bike please by all means throw in some good suggestions. Everything that I have research on it seems great it has a wide range of mods you can do to it and with it being a 883 when I feel I want to get something bigger I can get it converged over to a 1200. Thanks in advance for the advice guys

#35 ·
Awesome! Don’t listen to anyone but yourself. Read, take lessons, and practice. Obviously everyone hear is gonna say get a Harley, probably the one they have. Everyone likes their own bike and you will too! Whatever it is.

My advice for a first bike is going to be similar to Fast Eddie (checkout motojitsu on YouTube) Buy used and what you can pay cash for. Save your money for riding gear, better than basic lessons, track daus and trips!

I’ve got 30 years of riding experience, most of it was worthless because I wasn’t focused on being a better rider. In the last year I’ve changed a lot of bad habits and can do a whole lot more than I ever could.

You’ve got more time ahead of you than us old guys so use it!

#36 ·
IMO, do not buy an Ironhead 883 for your 1st Harley ! Same money will get you an EVO Sporty, a much easier bike to service and repair ... to keep running when ya need it. The EVO Sportys are the most bullet proof bikes the MoCo produced.

Reactions: Kainam
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.