Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm almost ready to join the Harley family. I'm still undecided which bike to get. Iv'e had a Ninja 250 for about 5 yrs and was involved in a accident couple months ago. I have always wanted a Harley and since I when I saw the Iron 883 and the Street 750 I felt in love. Those are the only 2 bikes that I'm really interested in. Anyone with experience with transition from sport bike to one of those? Which one is best? Sorry, but I'm really undecided.....

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've always felt that the best one is the one that you like the best. Take a test ride on each and decide for yourself. It's gonna be YOUR bike, not ours.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,761 Posts
I own an XG750. Street 750 they call it.

3800 miles on it now so far it is very good. My son rides it more than me though I do really like the bike he keeps it because he likes it as his main ride.

I think it is a really good bike. One thing to consider, if you decide to quit there will be more people to purchase the Iron 883 from you than the XG750.

Having rode both the XG is faster and works corners better IMO. Not as much in accessories available for the XG as the 883.

Old Kawaski H2 two stroke triple rider here and the Seca 750 from the 80s. That is why I have the VRSCA, then added the FLSTFB for touring, then the XG750 cause I really liked the bike and it was cheap for the performance.

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
The 750 would be closer to what you're used to.

·
Registered
456 Posts
They are both good bikes, far more accessories for the 883 and resale should be higher. My wife wanted a 750 but chose the 883 in the end.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to HD

I am new to the HD scene. I've been riding sports bikes for the past 5 years. However, i've grown tired of that aggressive stance and "crotch rocket" life. I have been eyeing a few HD bikes for a while. Today i finally took the drive over to my local HD in Fullerton CA. I test rode the 750 and the iron 883. They are both in my price range. They 750 looks awesome but what kills it for me is the radiator (i believe thats the square in the front). The 883 is a straight beauty. When i rode them i felt the 750 had better response and acceleration, but the 883 higher speed. From my understanding the 750 picks up speed quicker but its not as fast as the 883. In the end both of the bikes didnt have the power i was looking for. After riding both bikes the forty-eight caught my eye. That bike is straight bad ass. I had to take it for a test drive and fell in love with it. They had a used one, 4 months old with 180 miles going for 11k. OOD i was looking at about 12800. I wanted to take the dive but thats more than what i had in mind. I must say i fell in love with it. I think i'm gonna ponder on this for a few days. I still feel im going to end up with the 883. Maybe in the future ill put in the kit for the 1200.

As of now I am bikeless and cannot stop thinking about that forty-eight. *sigh*

·
Registered
526 Posts
My only knock on the 48 is the 2.1 gallon tank. If you're going to be using it to commute figure 70 ~ 80 miles between fill-ups. I had a 72 with the same tank but my commute was only 12.5 miles each way so it wasn't a major issue for me. If you're commuting 50 miles round trip you'll be at the gas station every other day.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,240 Posts
I still feel im going to end up with the 883. Maybe in the future ill put in the kit for the 1200.

As of now I am bikeless and cannot stop thinking about that forty-eight. *sigh*
Sounds like you really want the forty-eight....save up, wait, and get the forty-eight....

As far as Iron or 750 street, the Iron will have a higher resale and more premade aftermarket accesories, but the street might have a higher fun factor...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts