Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there experienced in building ironheads? I have a 900cc kicker that is ported polished pb cams and I want to know the best carb/jet exhaust and compression ratio setup. The cans will be honed to .050 and I have 5 different carbs to play with. 2 amf 860b and 860d, 2 tillotson hd2d and hd2c and one keihin 824e1. What would be better with what jets, pipes and compression ratio?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Maddog
394 Posts
I would put a Mikuni smooth bore (flatslide) on it if you're not concerned with nostalgia.

Also, allot of 'old school' porting actually reduces airflow. If the head porter didn't have
access to a flow bench, chances are the head will flow less than a stocker. (just sayin)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I buildin this bike to ride not to race so I want to run 91 octane just trying to get the most out of the bike since it is already torn apart. But I would still like to have longevity.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
A CV carb would work good on that.
Jets..........?
Compression..........no more than 180 psi ccp, but with a kicker, you'll never be able to get any accuracy recording that ratio.
Scott

·
Maddog
394 Posts
CV carbs

I agree, CV carbs can work really well if you "de-EPA" them. Trock
cycle sells a nice performance kit. I put them in all the time and they
make a huge difference!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Out of my 5 carbs what would work best? I don't really want to drop money in a different carb if I already have one that will work the same. Also where is a good place to find rebuild kits for carbs?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts