Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if anyone will be able to answer this, would wager to say Brutus or Dave might,
My 74 sporty is stock frame and motor, while the bike is stripped down, I figure I might as well clean her up a little.....
my rockerboxes are painted black, but badly need a new coat, chips, scratches, etc.
can I take them off the heads without removing the motor from the frame? I haven't tried yet as it looks to be too close.
any experience with this?

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
you might have to pull the head on the rear to remove the rocker box the front will probley come right off.
pulling the head off is a lot easier then the whole motor.
somtime on that rare occasion the rear has just enough clerance.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I pulled the heads on my 77 (same frame/engine) with it in the frame.

Tight.....but it can be done.

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks......kinda what I was afraid of.

now, because I know nothing of bike engines, will I have to re-run the valves once I put the head back on? Also, are the head gaskets readily available and what is the torque setting? If I remember right, there are only 4 bolts in each head, so I assume just go corner to corner then opposite?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
ok thanks......kinda what I was afraid of.

now, because I know nothing of bike engines, will I have to re-run the valves once I put the head back on? Also, are the head gaskets readily available and what is the torque setting? If I remember right, there are only 4 bolts in each head, so I assume just go corner to corner then opposite?

PM sent

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
But I make that sheit look good..............

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
HUGE email sent.

Call me if you run into problems over the weekend.

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Dave,
Attention everyone, when Dave says he will help you out and hook you up with some info, he means it, in one email from him, I got more tech info than I could have found on any half dozen websites or more.
Mad props to you Dave, thanks again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts